24 Hour Blooms?

hawkeye38(7bAL)September 29, 2012

My very first ever bloom opened yesterday about noon with the second following around 4 PM. This morning I found the first bloom on the floor and this afternoon around 4PM I found the second bloom on the floor.Other buds are coming.

I was hoping the blooms would last much longer and I have never read they only lasted 1 day. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Hawkeye

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
printmaster1

Congrats!!!!
Keep posting those pics.
Lonnie

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 6:59AM
jandey1(TX8)

Hawkeye, I don't think that's unusual for a young plumeria or one that's experiencing fluctuations in nighttime temps like we have this time of year. I wouldn't worry about it as your plant looks very healthy otherwise. Is your plumeria Guillot's Sunset?

In the heat of summer (100's every day) my mature Thornton's Lemon Drop was dropping its flowers after about two days. Now that the temps are more bearable the blooms are staying on for several days.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 9:11AM
hawkeye38(7bAL)

When we got these 3 plants from Roberta's they didn't tell us what the variety was. They probably didn't know. I think they probably are Guillot's Sunset. The other 2 plants are a bit smaller than this plant so maybe next summer I will have blooms on all 3 plants. The 2 blooms that fell off are in a small water bowl and look as pretty as when they fell off! Amazing.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 2:11PM
hawkeye38(7bAL)

My problems worsten. Here are blooms 3,4,& 5 (1 & 2 dropped) as of yesterday morning. It rained slowly all day and with no sun & it only got to 72F. No bloom progress all day! Notice rain droplets. This morning it looks exactly the same except no droplets. There will be no sun today, some rain & maybe 78F. I fear no bloom progress today. Tonight it goes to below 60F and I bring it inside.
Should I put put a light on it to try to simulate the sun or let it be?
Hawkeye

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™