Strawberry Romance

jont1(Midwest 5b/6a)August 20, 2004

I planted a Strawberry Romance this spring after seeing some beautiful pics and some raves here on the forum. The first blooms were pretty bad--very small and pure cabbage with not a lick of form or substance to speak of during the spring bloom and I thought I had made a big mistake. The plant was very spindly and didn't appear to be very vigorous either. However, I have two new blooms that have just opened up this week and they are truly beautiful specimens--definite head table material with beautiful high pinpoint centers and striking strawberry pink coloration. Also, the plant appears to have made it over the hump and has really started taking off with good healthy foliage growth and good strong canes and the blooms have plenty of substance. If you have this rose, don't give up on it too early!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peduncle

Hi Jont1, I've heard the same thing from others who have Strawberry Romance. The plant needs some time to get established but once it does it can be very beautiful. Mine are all doing great. I saw where it won King at the Butte Rose Society show in northern California last May. Do you have Golden Age, Hollywood Star or Hopie Girl? My Hopie Girl is now 6' tall with one cane having four others on it each 2' long with a beautiful single bloom.

Bookmark   August 21, 2004 at 6:46AM
the_bustopher z6 MO

I have both Strawberry Romance and Hopie Girl. Strawberry Romance is doing the same thing to me. It didn't start out very impressively, but it has come along with some nicely shaped flowers. The color, however, isn't very intense for very long.

Hopie Girl is another story. It has done well consistently. It has become a good little workhorse for the yellows and shows good bloom form although it opens fast. It has gotten bigger than I thought it would at first.

Bookmark   August 23, 2004 at 1:00PM
peduncle

My Hopie Girls do best in the Fall when temperatures are cooler and it can benefit from the slower growing temperatures to add petals and size. Yes, it can get large as it is a very vigorous grower. I had one basal cane this summer that produced four other canes at the same time, each of which was over 2' long with perfect exhibition form. If I would have restricted it to only two canes they would have had even bigger blooms. I love it!

Bookmark   August 26, 2004 at 5:40AM
theroselvr

I'm really glad to see this posted! After the not so great start, hopefully others will rethink shoveling their SR.

Thank you for letting us know.

Bookmark   August 27, 2004 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, September 2012
ARS 2012 OFFICIAL ROSE LIST SUPPLEMENT SEPTEMBER 2012 THIS...
Rgschwerdt
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, August 2012
ARS 2012 OFFICIAL ROSE LIST SUPPLEMENT, AUGUST 2012...
Rgschwerdt
ARS Rose Magazine
THE ROSE Before any more important information is deleted...
Rgschwerdt
STICKY: Check out the GardenWeb Calendar of Events!
Have you checked out what's happening on our GardenWeb...
gwannouncements
Inside the Rosarians Garden
Inside the Rosarian's Garden is a fantastic blog and...
diane_nj 6b/7a
Sponsored Products
Cherry placemats, set of 6
Origin Crafts
Jessica McClintock Romance Champagne Gold Buffet Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Casa Marseille 21 1/2" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Moroni - Havana Classic Leather Sofa and Loveseat Set in Coach...
Great Furniture Deal
Dominique Crystal Keepsake Box - Christmas Decorations
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Kichler Dover Chandelier - 36.5W in. Brushed Nickel - 2523NI
$738.00 | Hayneedle
Turret White Two-Light Sconce
$118.00 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Angelo:HOME Strawberry Red 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™