Nocturnal Beetles

roserx(8)September 26, 2006

My roses are being beseiged by nocturnal beetles. I have sprayed w/ Sevin susp in combo w/ my fungicides, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rgschwerdt(z5aillinois)

I donâÂÂt believe you have much to worry about eliminating Japanese Beetles (JB) at time of the year, having done their damage are now over-wintering as grubs in the ground. To control and eradicate them its necessary to understand how JB exist, with timing playing a major role. The grubs spend approximately 10 months of its life as a partially grown grub in the soil. They are most vulnerable at this time and when they need to be eliminated, before they make their appearance above ground.

Japanese Beetles generally make their appearance at about the same time each year, appearing in the Midwest about early-June lasting to early fall. Eating holes in the buds flowers and feed on tissue between the veins of leaves. What now seems to be the choice of many rosarians for this pest, is an early application of Bayer Advanced Lawn âÂÂCompleteâ Insect Killer for Soil and Turf, granules spread over the rose beds and surrounding area starting in mid May and again in August and thoroughly watered in. For only above ground control, use Bayer Advanced All-In-One Rose and Flower Insect Killer and/or Merit, 1/8 teaspoon per gallon, applied ever other week starting in June.

Mature beetles pick them off and drown them in a container of soapy water. Crushing them is said to release a substance that attracts more Japanese beetles. The use of traps seems to attract more beetles than they actually trap. Spraying with Sevin, while killing Japanese beetles on a plant, will also eradicate many beneficial insects.

Good Luck,
Ronald Schwerdt

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 6:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roserx(8)

Ron,

Thanks for the detailed response. I think I have Asiatic Beetles, but I am sure the cure is the same.

Glenn

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Never tried this. . .what's the etiquette?
Never been to a rose show at all. . .I'm curious, what...
HollyKline
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, September 2012
ARS 2012 OFFICIAL ROSE LIST SUPPLEMENT SEPTEMBER 2012 THIS...
Rgschwerdt
what are your bankers?
Since I lost a ton of roses last winter this spring...
seil zone 6b MI
Johnny Becnel's Website
Calvin Boutte told me that they are in the process...
kokosrose
Delbard Carmagnole Floribunda
Anyone ever exhibited Carmagnole? What are your thoughts...
frenchcuffs13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™