Poor year in SW Ohio, others?

billyberueAugust 27, 2012

I have not had this poor of a year growing peppers in over 20 years. I grow many different veggies, and all have had their problems, on and off, but never my hot peppers. Serranos, jalapenos and bananna are fine but the real hot ones like rat turds, datil, pequin, ghost, chiltepins are barelt to not producing. Anything different this year? I irrigate so the drought hasn't bothered me and I thought they could take high heat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

Still hotter than normal here after extremely hot June/July. Several days over 100 and severe drought. Lucky to get just one of those 100+ days all summer around here. We had a little reprieve about a week or so ago but now back into the 90's for highs. All in all, seems my peppers are liking it. Aside from about one week back in June, they have taken the heat pretty well in my opinion. But this is only my second real year of growing peppers. I am basically a container grower if that matters.

I have picked a couple harvests off several of my plants already. My super hots are the only ones I would consider slow this year.

You and I both probably have another month or so of growing season. I hope your plants kick in soon.
Bruce

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simsedward

I live in Southeast Michigan and this is the worst year I have had for super hots in 30 years. My bhuts and habaneros are just now forming pods. Doubtful that I will harvest many before frost. Everything else is doing just fine... weird year.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™