typical oklahoma

mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)September 7, 2012

our slogan should be this

hi welcome to oklahoma, please be sure you have a coat, jacket, shorts, t-shirt, long pants, flip flops, boots, tennis shoes, rain coat, sunglasses, sunscreen, gloves, umbrella, snow chains, blanket, and most important a smart phone with a reliable weather app with you at all times!!

prime example

today at 4pm it was 95 degrees 98 in tulsa. At 5pm a cold front came through and the winds picked up to 45mph with rain and 70 degree temps. By midnight it should be down into the upper 50's with lows sunday close to upper 40's.

Next week back up to mid 90's.

I promise you I have gone to work in the morning wearing short sleeves and leave in the afternoon wearing a coat and driving home in snow. It is no doubt a challenge to keep plants happy here.

anyways have good weekend!!!

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonie_57

That's just crazy, Mike! But never boring, huh? :)

Do you have to do a lot of moving of plants in and out in the fall and spring? Where do you store your plumies for winter?

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:33PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Yeah it keeps you guessing. My tropicals go in the greenhouse but I do a lot of in and out early fall/ late spring. The nights will get too cold but the days can be perfect for outside. Keeps me young LOL.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:54PM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

I had two plumies blow over from the winds. :(
Fortunately my partner picked them up and moved them underneath the arbor. No branches were broken.
Should be interesting when our trees get bigger, eh? ;)

-Robert

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:41PM
moonie_57

Usually I love the wind. As I mentioned on another post the other day, I had my first broken branch when the wind blew one plumie over on another. Grrrr

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:58PM
jandey1(TX8)

Mike, you always make me laugh! We were 186 degrees here yesterday--give or take 80 degrees--and this morning I was able to throw open the windows with the "cool" breeze that came through. Finally we'll be in the low 90's more typical to Austin this time of year.

What brand of greenhouse do you have that withstands those Okie winds? I lived there in my childhood and remember the wild range of weather.

And p.s.: Please send rain.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 10:23AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Jandy. I know it can fell like 186 some days. I built a wood frame lean-to with just some 6mil poly. I tore it down and im building a bigger hoophouse this year.
Ill do my best rain dance for ya!

Robert. Glad you didn't have any damage. I had a few blown over also. 60 degrees this morning sure felt nice!

Mike

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 12:05PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

It sure was nice this morning. I built mine out of 2x4s, Simpson brackets, and polycarbonate corrugated sheets screwed to the wood frame. I use the same six mil plastic on the door and lower sides for easy venting. It's pretty rigid.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Waiting for spring
Most of my plants are starting to get leaves but I...
barb13_gw
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™