Should cut off branches from Acavado tree?

alwong(Ca USA)December 25, 2005

In a Chinese gardening website suggest to cut off too many branches or cut off the top of it for growing fruits.

My Acavado tree has been planted five years already. There is no fruit at all in the past five years. I don't know why? Who can tell me about this? Please post me a message to advise me how to do it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chris_Greenwood

Here's some things you need to consider...

1. Did you purchase the tree from a reputable garden center? Or did it come for a seed that you planted. Grafted trees are the best!

2. Avocados take 3-5 years to set fruit.

3. You might need another tree to pollenize.

Home-sprouted seedlings many times do not bear fruit.

Pruning is rarely done -- just let the tree alone and let it grow. Also, let the leaf litter remain under the tree. They should never be grown in lawns or flower beds.

Merry Christmas

Bookmark   December 25, 2005 at 11:17AM
suzyr(Zn. 9 Central,Cal.)

Hi Al! I bought a hass Avacado tree for my mother it was already grafted, what I learned about it was that they are very succeptable to wind burn so they need to be planted with a wind break , like maybe a building on one side and or another tree to protect it so thats what we did also the trunks are very suceptable to burn so you should keep them white washed , and I did cut out the cenrtal leader because of another hass avacado tree not far from her house if you don't cut out that central leader you wont be able to reach the fruit they are extremly tall trees, vase shape would be good bring the fruit down to a manageable height. Hers is about 3 yrs old I will be doing a secound pruning on hers this year, did you know that Avacados don't ripen till you pick them . Oh my aunt grew one from seed when I was a kid It didn't produce for about 9 years as I recall she eventually pulled it out it was really tall and taking its toll on her porch roof.
Good Luck
Happy New Year
SuzyQ

Here is a link that might be useful: Aditional Avacado Info

Bookmark   January 1, 2006 at 5:14AM
natjayfoster

i grew a 3ft avocado tree from a pit. it was doing great while i lives in california then i moved out to nebraska and within days all the leaves fell off and died and now the tree just sits there looking like a skeleton. when i 1st got to nebraska it was below freezing so i kept it in the garage, then it looked like it died now the temp is up and iwater it and it gets tons of sun everyday and still nothing. and also all over the tree, like on the branch times there is some sort of white powdery stuff. what is that? did my tree die? or is there something i can do for it???

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Arrangements
Does anyone also do arrangements? I've always wanted...
buford
Greater Gwinnett Fall Rose Show
October 11th, Buford, Georgia. If you grow/exhibit...
buford
what are your bankers?
Since I lost a ton of roses last winter this spring...
seil zone 6b MI
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, August 2012
ARS 2012 OFFICIAL ROSE LIST SUPPLEMENT, AUGUST 2012...
Rgschwerdt
GardenWeb needs your feedback!
Hi everyone, As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing...
gwannouncements
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Slipcovers Edington Burgundy Patio Lounge Chair Slipcover red
$41.00 | Home Depot
Hinkley Saturn Stainless Steel 21 3/4" High Post Mount Light
Lamps Plus
Besa Darci 21" High Satin Nickel Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Make-up Tray Made of Thermoplastic Resins in Red Finish
TheBathOutlet
Bel Air Johnson Lake Outdoor Hanging Light - 21.75H in. - 4442 AP
$169.10 | Hayneedle
Jubilee Bouquet
$649.00 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Hand-woven Reversible Yellow/ Black Braided Rug (6' x 9' Oval)
Overstock.com
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WH81211 Lavatory Deck Mount Modern Bathroom Faucet
$289.00 | Blue Bath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™