Dr. John Dickman

hershigrl(Coastal CA 10)December 15, 2004

Anyone know how big this guy gets or how floriferous it is? I want to grow it as a garden rose. I hear it's an exhibition winner so I thought you guys might know about it. :)

Also, who sells the miniflora "Nemesis" shown in the Annual. Is that a yellow reverse? It's a beauty!

- HershiGrl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PMVG57(z9 AZ)

Just got two Dr. JD myself so I have no first hand growth knowledge, but in other AZ gardens I've seen mature plants in, it was reaching 3ft in height, with good bloom set.

'Nemesis' is a Robbie Tucker creation that I don't think will be coming out until late 2005 from Rosemania.....

Bookmark   December 15, 2004 at 3:22PM
phil_schorr(z6St.Louis)

I've heard some reports that it doesn't bloom all that much, but I haven't grown it myself so I can't say for sure.

Bookmark   December 15, 2004 at 5:20PM
suzanne_ladyred(z10 So Cal)

Dr. John Dickman gets pretty big as a plant, has excellent form on the blooms, but is a pretty stingy bloomer. I wouldn't recommend it for a garden rose.

Nemesis will be released by Rosemania, I believe, sometime in 2005. That's all I know about that one.

Bookmark   December 16, 2004 at 9:50AM
steve_gw

I've budded Dr. John Dickman to multiflora, and my plants looked like HT's by fall except the blooms were Mini-Flora
sized. I thought they bloomed pretty well, throwing some nice sprays also. I've had it in the court several times already, a really nice rose!

Bookmark   December 17, 2004 at 11:21PM
Paribear(10a)

This is an excellent miniflora but I agree with Suzanne a little stingy with blooms. But the blooms you do get are worth it. I posted a picture of this miniflora on the rose gallery.

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 3:57AM
cleanleaf(z10/ca)

I have one of these plants; Just got it this winter. Nice foilage, we shall see how the blooms come out.

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 10:49PM
blsmith

Hi HershiGirl :~),

Regarding Mini-Flora, Dr. John Dickman, we won Mini Queen with it last weekend in San Diego and Princess last Fall at Armstrong.

This is one of my personal favorites, the color the stunning - mauve with a red edge...almost exotic. It holds its center quite well. So far we have found it refrigerates well too. We cut arms full last week....we are getting an abundance of blooms here in Vista.

Joe and Bren

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 1:09PM
desertratrose(z9 AZ-PHX)

I got one from Bridges just a couple of weeks ago. Looks really healthy. Can't wait for blooms.

Suz

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 1:11PM
blsmith

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 1:29PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

I must say that my plant is doing much better planted in the garden than it did in a 5-gallon pot last year. The root ball didn't look especially large when I transplanted it. I wasn't going to give it primo garden space, but it's rebounding nicely so I will let it stay. For while.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 4:46PM
blsmith

Dr. John Dickman won Mini-Flora Queen for us AGAIN today at the CCRS Spring Rose Show. Back to back weekends with big time huge competition. Needless to say, we love this rose.

Joe and Bren

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 10:31PM
hershigrl(Coastal CA 10)

Wow! That's a great picture. What a beauty! Thanks everyone for your input.

- HershiGrl

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 6:56PM
blsmith

Queen photo from last weekend in Vista.....

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 12:28AM
blsmith

This was our Vase of 6 entry from this past weekend in Ventura. It did not take the trophy but a blue ribbon. But we won Mini Court of Honor with it.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 12:24PM
cleanleaf(z10/ca)

LadyBren, this rose has certainly done yomans work for you at the shows this spring..They seem to like that Vista, CA microclimate pretty good eh?

BTW, nice Mulan entry..Need to look up the parentage of this rose. I checked on my Color Magic bush after Ventura & observed that the foilage is definitley not the same as the Mulan you had..I guess that is good in that it is indeed a different rose.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Delbard Carmagnole Floribunda
Anyone ever exhibited Carmagnole? What are your thoughts...
frenchcuffs13
Miniflora Rose List, June, 2012
MINIFLORA ROSE LIST, JUNE 2012 Miniflora listings are...
Rgschwerdt
Miniflora Rose List, September 2012
MINIFLORA ROSE LIST, SEPTEMBER 2012 Miniflora listings...
Rgschwerdt
Let's feed them
Something I've learned about roses over the past 35+...
ken-n.ga.mts
Never tried this. . .what's the etiquette?
Never been to a rose show at all. . .I'm curious, what...
HollyKline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™