Peppers 2013

highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)January 3, 2013

Well, it's that time again. Even though I won't have as much free time as previous seasons, I couldn't seem to cut my growlist down. In fact, it might even be longer than last year, haha!

The first seeds were sown 12-29-12.

Should have sown these in November or December. The germination time is 3 - 4 weeks, and the DTM is 95 - 130, so they need a BIG headstart if they are going to produce anything their first season.

Today, I sowed all of the chinense and baccatums.

So far, I have 41 different varieties of annums still to sow, and I'll be sowing two of each kind. I'll wait at least another month before I do these though, since they germinate and grow a lot faster. I'll post the list once they're sown.

Anyone else started any peppers yet??? Or am I the only crazy one around here?

BTW, I'll be posting the thread for this year's Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Seed Swap soon, so keep your eye out if you are interested in expanding your pepper seed inventory.

Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

I mentioned my um....er... 'Hybridization Experiments' where bunching 4 or 5 varieties of peppers together two years ago, than saving the seeds and replanting them last year, led to a um....er....'wonderful' array of pepper varieties. I saved two plants with prolific 6" long, 2 inch dia, thick walled fruit - identical in appearance but one has heat and the other doesn't. They're potted up in the greenhouse, and I'm waiting for a bit warmer weather so the snow won't stay on top the translucent roof.

I'll be making cuttings and starting off a few dozen wee ones.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 11:22AM
gjcore

Wow Bonnie you sure get going early! I'll probably wait another month or so even then this year is going to be a bit tricky for me because my indoor grow area is presently full with herbs for the plant sale. Lots of rosemary, thyme, tarragon and mints. I need another coldframe, indoor grow area or possibly a greenhouse in the next month or so. I have not even got to the point of sorting through my seed collection or catalogs yet.

David52, very cool that you're overwintering some pepper plants.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 1:35PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

I tried overwinter a few plants last year, but not sure the battle of the aphids was worth it. When I brought all the container plants into the garage in the fall, I had intentions of selecting a few to bring indoors, but instead they all died a slow and painful death from neglect.

If I don't get a harvest from the Manzanos this season, I will definitely keep at least one of each color over the winter, and try for a harvest in '14. From what I've read, they like the cool nights we have here, but will take forever to set fruit. I have tried some fresh ones before that someone sent me, and they are worth the effort. Kind of thick and juicy, like an Alma Paprika, but with a good bit more heat.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 4:19PM
david52_gw

Aphids I got. My pepper plants are getting a regular weekly spray with soapy water.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 11:57AM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

Well, the 2013 pepper season is officially underway!

So the first sprout of the season is Condor's Beak, a purple habanero type pepper. Here's what it looked liked yesterday.

I also see some tails starting to poke out of a couple of the Manzano seeds. Pretty excited about those. It's only been 2 weeks, and I have read that it can take 3 to 4 to get germination.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 9:17AM
margaretmontana(4-5MT)

I resisted until the 17th and planted a bunch of peppers, some petunias and some brussel sprouts. I haven't been able to get good brussel sprouts the past 2 years with cold springs. A friend said try planting them in January instead so I am trying that. They are in a covered starter tray on a heat mat so shouldn't have any problem. I grow jalapeno and Ahaheim for my pepper jelly, a number of bell peppers as that is my hubby's choice and the last couple of years have grown the mini bells in orange which he really likes. Last year I grew 1 cherry pepper and I ended moving the plant into the house in a pot to get it to ripen. I pickled them so will have to try them one day. 2 years ago I grew a lot of banana and Hungarian wax and pickled them.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
What did You Prepare and Eat from the Garden, Today?
A mix of Soldier and Jacob's Cattle beans with onions,...
digit
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™