blossoms blackening & falling off (pic I hope)

labland(Inland Valley CA9)September 23, 2010

OK guys, I think I have the picture of my one plumeria where the blossoms will not open, they turn black and fall off. Also, the leaves have not opened yet. I wonder if this plumie went into shock after transplanting in a new planter - the rest of my plants are doing great.

I wonder should I cut off the inflo to allow the leaves to at least open?

Hopefully I finally got a picture downloaded. Had to switch to PC from iPad.

Suggestions?

http://i55.tinypic.com/zqsw.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: blossoms blackening and falling off

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Where are the leaves?? Did you say this was a healthy rooted plant that you recently transplanted? How healthy was the root system prior to transplant?

It almost looks like the roots were injured or lost in the process. With a compromised root system, the inflo may not be sustained. I'd be tempted to cut it off, but I don't know how bad the root damage is. The plant might come back quickly with warmth and bright light.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:19AM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

yes, This is a plant that I have had in a pot for several years. I think this is the first time it was going to bloom. The leaves are just what I think you guys are calling "claws". They haven't opened yet. Here is another picture. As far as I known the root structure was intact. I wasn't there when my husband planted it, but as you can see from the second picture, the other ones he planted are doing fine.

here is picture of the planter with 6 plants, 3 Singapore Whites, One Playful (I think) and not sure the other name, white with yellow inside

This is I think "Playful" in the same planter (It was the first to bloom, and its blossoms are all spent now)

And finally, one of the Singapore whites from the same planter:

I guess, it can't hurt to cut off the inflo, then maybe the claws will open up, give it some time in the sun before winter comes!

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 12:20PM
irun5k

That is a really wonderful planter, what a great idea up against the wall like that!

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 1:26PM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

Thanks. I can't wait to see what it will do in the winter. It will loose some sun, but I think the wall's warmth will do. My Singapore Whites will have leaves all winter anyway.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
Easy bloomers
What are the easiest plants to get to bloom easily?...
tamela_star
A Plumeria in the UK
Hello all, I am new on this forum, usually on the Adenium...
adenium1949
Vera Cruz Rose Leaf Curl/Black Leaf Spot Issues.
Hello Forum member's I've Noticed my VCR Leaf Start...
edzone9
Plant robbers
I can't believe it! My plants are in the back yard...
angel325
Top 5 WOW Factor Plumeria Choices ?
Hello Gang ; Please help me choose the top 5 Wow Factor...
edzone9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™