blossoms blackening & falling off (pic I hope)

labland(Inland Valley CA9)September 23, 2010

OK guys, I think I have the picture of my one plumeria where the blossoms will not open, they turn black and fall off. Also, the leaves have not opened yet. I wonder if this plumie went into shock after transplanting in a new planter - the rest of my plants are doing great.

I wonder should I cut off the inflo to allow the leaves to at least open?

Hopefully I finally got a picture downloaded. Had to switch to PC from iPad.

Suggestions?

http://i55.tinypic.com/zqsw.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: blossoms blackening and falling off

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Where are the leaves?? Did you say this was a healthy rooted plant that you recently transplanted? How healthy was the root system prior to transplant?

It almost looks like the roots were injured or lost in the process. With a compromised root system, the inflo may not be sustained. I'd be tempted to cut it off, but I don't know how bad the root damage is. The plant might come back quickly with warmth and bright light.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:19AM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

yes, This is a plant that I have had in a pot for several years. I think this is the first time it was going to bloom. The leaves are just what I think you guys are calling "claws". They haven't opened yet. Here is another picture. As far as I known the root structure was intact. I wasn't there when my husband planted it, but as you can see from the second picture, the other ones he planted are doing fine.

here is picture of the planter with 6 plants, 3 Singapore Whites, One Playful (I think) and not sure the other name, white with yellow inside

This is I think "Playful" in the same planter (It was the first to bloom, and its blossoms are all spent now)

And finally, one of the Singapore whites from the same planter:

I guess, it can't hurt to cut off the inflo, then maybe the claws will open up, give it some time in the sun before winter comes!

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 12:20PM
irun5k

That is a really wonderful planter, what a great idea up against the wall like that!

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 1:26PM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

Thanks. I can't wait to see what it will do in the winter. It will loose some sun, but I think the wall's warmth will do. My Singapore Whites will have leaves all winter anyway.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
New Plumeria Collector.
Hello Gang; New The Forum , I Have And Hope To Learn...
edzone9
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™