SD Plant Sale Sept 2012
I just got back so I'm still a little exhausted. I will have to post some pictures later.
So we arrived at 8:15am to check out the area only to discover that there was a line already! So I decided to join the early birds while DH went to get us a bite to eat. While waiting I chatted with some really nice folks. I then tried to plan out which area I wanted to go to first before I headed out to the courtyard to view the larger plants. Immediately my nose led me to a 15 Gal beauty. Turned out to be Jeannie Moragne. Oh my, her fragrance was simply AMAZING!! I wanted so badly to take her home but due to my space issue I just simply could not buy a 15 Gal right now. Additionally, I already have a baby Jeannie M so I really shouldn't buy a duplicate.
Another plant I thought was stunning was Goldmine. I have never heard of Goldmine, but as beautiful as she was I didn't really detect any fragrance. I also saw quite a few JJ's larger plants; many of which I have not seen before and they were sold quickly. Before I realized what was going on people were tearing off the tickets and marking the plant "Sold".
By the time I made it inside it was total chaos. Since it was my first time I didn't know what I was doing. I guess I was too polite waiting for the sellers to help me while everybody was grabbing as many plants as they could hold. LOL. Anyway, when it was said and done, all of the plants I wanted except for two were gone and I was like the first 20 people in! Still I came home w/ 8 plants. Eventually, I just ended up sniffing and picking the ones that smelled amazing to me.
1. Cerise - not on my list but when I saw her in person I fell in love. Beautiful flowers and amazing scent!
2. Samoan Fluff - saw her at Armstrong the other day but didn't want to pay $99.99... today I got a 5 Gal for $44. I will take a pic later.
3. Tropical Storm JL - I didn't see the flowers in person, but the pictures looked nice so I got one. A baby plant though... so not expecting her to do anything for a while.
4. Red Dragon Heart - this one I actually had on hold good thing too b/c they were going FAST! Another baby plant though.
5. Cranberry Red - also I saw the sample blooms and she was gorgeous with a sweet fragrance. She was cheap so I bought her.
6. JJ's Tai Surprise - small plant but blooming w/ amazing fragrance! Wasn't on my list but had to bring her home.
7. Jeannie Moragne - ok ok so I caved! I bought a 5 gal for $50. I couldn't resist it's a gorgeous plant! I hope she will bloom next year. Her fragrance alone is to die for!
8. Last but not least JJ's Amazing. I didn't get to see a blooming plant which was sold immediately. But just going by the photo Diana showed me I had to get one. John had two at the sale. So he sold out of Amazing pretty quickly.
He got one left he is holding for me... who was it that asked me to hold one again?? Let me know so I can tell John to release her to you. :)
Mona, John is hold a 2-gal Rhonda for you. Call him next Wednesday... :)
All in all it was super fun but also crazy. Now I know what to do next year. For sure, I won't be so polite next time. LOL. I am happy with my new plants.
What I walked away with is this... Artect Gold, Jeannie Moragne, Kauka Wilder and Sally Moragne have the BEST fragrance ever! I did not know that blooms from the mature trees can smell so different than mine. But since I have Artec Gold and Jeannie M already, and James has KW for me, I just need to find Sally Moragne. :) And of course I will be stalking that Moragne #23.