hardy fruit trees

eatsivyFebruary 22, 2011

Hi all, I've been doing some research on hardy fruit trees.

I've narrowed my ideas down to a few varieties of apples, pears, and cherries I'm considering. I'm in zone four in the rocky mountains of Idaho.

It is my understanding that while some fruit trees may survive and grow in very cold winter conditions, they still may bear fruit sporadically due to cold snaps in the spring (killing the flower/fruiting buds when the tree is setting fruit). I'm here to ask if people in very cold climates have had good luck with any particular fruit trees. Perhaps some varieties of fruit trees flower later and thus are less susceptible to frosts in the spring.

I'm thinking that perhaps my best bet is to try and grow a sour pie cherry tree like a Bali, or Montmorecy.

Also considering these pear varieties - Ure, Summer, and Nova.

Apples on my short list include:

Freedom, Red Baron, Norland, Carrol, and Keepsake.

Does anyone out there have success growing productive fruit trees (trees that bear fruit most seasons) in zone 4 (or even zone 3)?

Thanks, would love to hear about how others are doing growing fruit trees in these cold, Rocky Mountains.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eatsivy

me again - just thought I'd mention that I posted this on the "Orchards" forum too :) Will also post on some other forums that might be appropriate (northern gardening, etc.)

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 4:31PM
ianb_co(5b)

Montana State University's Extension has some resources that might be useful, including free pamphlets on plum varieties for zones 3 and 4 and apple varieties for Montana (though I haven't read that one, so it may be more applicable to the state's eastern plains).

Just checked the Idaho extension page - extension.uidaho.edu - and they have a number of pamphlets in the gardening section on fruit trees (at > Homes & Gardens > Fruits and Nuts). "Growing tree fruits in short season gardens" seems right up your alley. Again, may or may not be applicable to the mountains.

I'd also expect that both the MT and ID extensions would be open to a phone call.

Ian

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit pamphlets

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 11:16AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

As it is one of the missions of the Extension to help home gardeners, I'm certain they'll take a phone call. I'd do that as the locals there have the experience and can suss out what it is you want and match it with where you are.

Dan

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 12:06PM
gjmancini

itallian dwarf plum. Does great in Colorado. I have a galla apple i planted 2 years ago (2 of them)one died, the other no signs of fruit, may be still too young. Cant give you much info on the apples.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 12:49PM
eatsivy

Very helpful advice. Thank you for the link to the pamphlets. Thanks also for the suggestions to call my local ag extension office - good common sense idea (why didn't I think of that:). Plums sound intriguing for cold climates - I'll be looking into them. Thanks all, Chris

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Dig your own water well?
Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation...
ion_source_guy
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Plant protection after this spring in February
Hi, I have some daffodils and tulips moving right along....
jerrym303
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™