Watering Methods

btaylor9February 6, 2013

I've been dabbling in vegetable gardening for the past few years and I just want to get some feedback regarding everyone's watering methods. My garden was terrible last year and I think it was related to a sloppy watering schedule. My garden is approximately 300 sq. ft. and not a raised bed. I was thinking about going to a soaker-hose under mulch. Any other methods you'd recommend? If it helps, i'm located in downtown Colorado Springs.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billie_ladybug(5b)

btaylor9,

I garden about 40 miles due east of you and I have tried quite a few things. My favorites are: soaker hoses on a timer (until something breaks a hole in them) and osculating sprinklers. (also on a timer) The only time the sprinklers don't work well is when it is windy and/or when the plants get really tall. I received a timer for mother's day last year that works on battery power. It helps with the lack of time to water issue (I work two jobs and volunteer with 4-H)

Billie

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 10:37PM
lizbest1(5)

I also use soaker hose/drip lines under mulch with timers--seems to be the only water efficient way to keep things growing in CO's arid climate.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 3:04PM
nobueno(Boulder, CO 5a)

I'm up in boulder but soaker hoses on a timer worked well for me last year. Make sure you mulch and water at night. Can't stress watering at night enough, so much water is wasted when you water late morning or midday. There was only one day last year where the plants started to wilt and needed a little water mid-day for me.

I've had this timer for 3 years now and it's still going strong. http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58872N-Complete-Yard-Watering/dp/B003LY4I28/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1360419235&sr=8-7&keywords=sprinkler+timer

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:14AM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

My soaker hoses under mulch on a timer worked for two years, then I started getting holes in them & became too much work to fix for 250sf of raised bed. I take a cup of coffee out in the morning to enjoy the new day.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™