Best Red Super Hot

tomt226August 5, 2014

Want to grow some red habs, or other red super-hots other than Bhuts, as I have plenty of those, but they're lacking in flavor.
Got the yellow salsa down, now I want to make some using just FLAVORFUL red habs (or others), carrots, garlic, salt, and lime juice.
Got plenty of Thai Hots, Pequins and Tepins, but looking for something more flavorful and hotter than those.
Maybe the "Congo: hab, as it's large and much hotter than the regular habs?
Needs to be as flavorful and hotter than the Marie Sharp's "Fiery Hot" commercial salsa.
Is there a red Scorpion? I like the Pepper Palace's "Trinidad Scorpion Stinger" sauce.
Thanks,
Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Scorpions are red by default. It's the other colors that are the pretenders. But I've never heard them lauded for their exceptional flavor. (Few eaters can remember it.)

IMO Bhut Jolokia is the tastiest red superhot. After that I'd probably go Red Fatalii. But there are some 7 Pot advocates who might disagree.

This isn't something you're planning on doing this year, I hope.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 11:48

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 5:44PM
northeast_chileman(6a)

Interesting question, wondered myself, thanks Dennis.
Any other opinions?

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:52

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:27PM
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9

I recently received an assortment of hot to super hot pods (from another Texas grower) that included red and yellow Congos. Beautiful pods, and the yellows weren't bad, but the reds tasted like charcoal lighter fluid that wasn't used up the previous hot summer. Same with the red Trinidad Peanuts.

I have Scorpions and Red Bhuts growing, but it will be at least another month before I get to taste those for the first time. So take my opinions with a grain of salt. ;)

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:49PM
onenonlyjules1234

My Ghost pepper plant is blooming like crazy! I have red ghost chilies and would like some ideas of where or who I can sell/trade perhaps my chilies.
Thanks!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:57PM
scott123456(5)

TomT, in my extremely limited experience with super hots I prefer the yellows and even the chocolates over the reds when it comes to flavor. I am still waiting on my bhuts to ripen, but other than that I prefer the reaper. I know there is a lot of controversy with this variety, but the flavor is excellent even when the pods donâÂÂt look like they should. There isnâÂÂt that bitterness that a lot of red supers have either.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:42PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

If you've got Red Bhuts, then you have the best Red superhot, in my opinion. I'll be trying the Carolina Reaper this season, so I will be able to compare later this month.

Josh

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:44AM
woohooman

My experience with superhot variety is limited. I don't include habs as superhots.

So, I've had 4 different supers. Bhut, Naga Morich, A(what the folks here were calling it) Naga cross, and 7 Pot.

I THINK I'm partial to the Asian varieties as opposed to Caribbean/American varieties. I don't care for habs, and that's what the 7 pot reminded me of, but really painful. I think they're just too citrusy. On the other hand, the Bhuts and Nagas have a nice fruity berry flavor and I really can't tell the difference in flavor and aroma.

I'm all about the flavor. Don't get me wrong.. I love the heat that these superhots bring, but I don't need a Carolina Reaper or Moruga if it's going to make a sauce or dish that I find offputting.

I'll be growing out some unique crosses next year, so maybe my mind will be changed.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:05AM
tomt226

Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll grow some red habs, and use those with some Bhuts.
DM,
Not for this year. Gonna dedicate a garden area to red habs, and maybe grow a couple of red Fatali. I've had the yellow ones before, and they're good too.
Gawd, I got Bhuts out the azz...

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:48AM
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9

I made a sauce recently with some black habs and Walmart Fresnos. Very nice flavor blend, although the habs were a bit on the mild side. Coulda/shoulda added more. Will definitely be growing Fresnos next year.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:41AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

You can always add mild ones with good flavor to the supers with heat. Of course, I am talking about making sauce here.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:37AM
tomt226

seysonn,
That's what I'm planning to do. Probably use the red habs and get the heat from Bhuts, like I do with my Numex Suave Orange habs. Probably up the carrot content, and add some mustard and turmeric.
You eat with yer eyes too...

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 4:16PM
romy6(9)

Too many great supers .Trinidad Congo reds are not supers but plenty hot and a great tasting pepper .I made some opf my best sauce with some a few years back . You want extreme heat and flavor I agree the assam bhut's are very floral with very little earthiness. I just grew a choc bhut x yellow 7 x jonah( pictured below ) that is awesome and regular 7 pod jonah's by themselves are an amazing tasting pepper with 7 pot heat .

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 11:30AM
northeast_chileman(6a)

Any updates?

NECM

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 6:55PM
plantsman56

I've tried just about every red super there is. Some just have a red taste that to me didn't stand out, regardless of the heat level. Some people will disagree with me but 7 pod Jonahs, and Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaws are like this. Carolina reapers are like this to me as well. I think both these morugas and Butch ts don't have a pleasant taste. To me the Red Brain Strains taste 25% hotter than than Morugas and the taste is great. My new favorite of all the peppers is the 7 pod Primo. It tastes 10% hotter than the reapers and the taste of the pepper just jumps out at you. I use Primo powder when I go to many different restaurants.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 11:14PM
tomt226

romy6,
Geez, that doesn't have many seeds, and has good size. How big does the bush get?
NECM,
Haven't really decided yet, but that 7 pod is lookin' better...

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 6:57AM
romy6(9)

@Tom

The plant itself is about 3 feet tall and two feet wide . It could easily reach 5 or 6 feet in the right conditions. And there were more seeds under the placenta :)

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:29AM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

my vote is for the red brain strain. hands down the best tasting red super out there IMO.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:42AM
northeast_chileman(6a)

Any updates now that the 2014 picking season is in full swing?

Bookmark   September 8, 2014 at 6:19PM
tomt226

northeast,
Just pickin' and dehydrating, and experimenting with a few batches.
Really getting some good production out of the tree habs. They'll be 8' tall before the season is done. I'll post some pics soon...

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 6:17AM
ironmike_usmc zone 6A CT

Holy crap, Tom! 8'?! Can't wait for pics!

Mike

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 6:43AM
woohooman

Since habs suck, how about one of you "tinkerers"(Romy6) develop the tree BHUT???

Kevin

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 11:11AM
romy6(9)

Lol Kevin . I have a 7 pot lava that is about 10 feet tall . Has a much cleaner flavor than the brains to me . But there are so many variations of the brain it is difficult to say .

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 11:25AM
tomt226

MikeUSMC,
Here's a pic I took this AM. The tape is locked on 8'. I expect the plant to be 8' by first frost. It's a little over 7' now.

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 2:54PM
tomt226

romy6,
Damn nice plant. Here's another tree hab that's at about 6' in an itty bitty pot and producing like heck.

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 2:57PM
plantsman56

My new favorite is the 7 pod primo. I can't stand scorpions for taste. Reapers taste plain to me, just like the jigsaws. I have red brains from seeds directly from Cappy. I think these have a good, special taste also. They are hotter than morugas. I also got my Primo seeds from Troy Primeaux and these are 10% hotter than the reapers, but taste way better.

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 3:33PM
northeast_chileman(6a)

Bumping thread cause I want to grow a few this season....

Anyone else have input?

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 4:41PM
pepperchuck(8b coastal MS)

Haven't tried it yet but I have some very high hopes on the 7 pot bubblegum, but as of now, I second judo with the red brain strain.

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 6:18PM
centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx

This year I will trying some red Scotch Bonnets, as well as a few others. I am going to try Yellow Devil's Tongue, and Aji Limon for yellows.

I have Scorpions, and Red Ghost. I will be trying some Butch T, and Indian Carbon this season as well. I have seeds started as of last night. Once they sprout more will go on the heat pad to replace them.

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 7:34PM
fusion_power

When it comes to hot peppers with loads of flavor, I like C. Baccatum. They are nowhere near as hot as the superhots, so if you want off the scale heat, grow Trinidad Scorpion Moruga or something similar and add them to a few Chapeau de Frade. You get the flavor and you get the heat.

Bookmark   December 27, 2014 at 10:55PM
Eagleclaww

Watching Youtube videos, I'd say 7-pot (various strains), primo, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, and Carolina Reaper all seem to have a fruity or fruity/floral flavor.
The lone exception is that some of the chocolate super hots have a bit of a smoky flavor added to the fruity or floral. (For example the Douglah (aka "7 Pot Douglah", "Chocolate 7 Pot", "Chocolate Douglah") has a bit of a smoky undercurrent going on.

The Jamaican Chocolate Habanero doesn't have a smoky flavor, but rather taste like a milder version of the orange habanero, but heat wise it's like the Red Savanna. Takes time for the heat to build from the videos I've watched.

Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 5:07AM
northeast_chileman(6a)

So I've been watching eBay and stumbled over an auction for the following, two packs each of Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Trinidad Primo 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, 7 bucks delivered for 40 seeds (Note, the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T also came from Whatcom Seed Co. but they didn't have a separate URL for it.). Time to start some seeds!

Bookmark   January 4, 2015 at 9:53AM
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9

My first time venture into superhots started last May with seeds from Amazon/Hinterlands Trading Co. I called it a Hot Pepper Trifecta... Red and Yellow Bhuts, plus Scorpion peppers. Surprisingly they all grew true!

Bookmark   January 4, 2015 at 10:08AM
jasmalka(7)

Carolina Reaper. Just amazing.
My personal best.

Don't fear The Reaper

Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 2:53AM
More Discussions
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™