"Derecho" headed East....

woodnymph2_gwJune 13, 2013

Supposedly, the worst impact will be in the Virginia, Maryland, and DC areas. Stay safe, vgkg and others in its path! I seem to recall this happened last year. This one is supposed to affect 24 states. I want to ask anyone who knows: is this type of monster a new development, due to global warming? I don't remember hearing the word until last year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vgkg(Z-7)

Thx Woodnymph, keeping my eyes peeled today, we're hoping that lingering cloud cover will keep storm intensity to a minimum later today. Surely don't need any more rain here much less 60mph winds or worse a twister. Heading outside now to tie up tomato plants a bit better. Looks to possibly be worse up north of us but these Derecho animals are a different breed of storm and unpredictible.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:26AM
heri_cles

I don't see it up here but I loved saying "derecho" and rolling the r. Stay safe and stay thirsty my friends.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:39AM
markjames

I was in the direct path of 3 high straight line wind events in the 1990s - 2 later classified as Derechos.

I rode out one in a cuddy cabin fishing boat on Lake Ontario. It was interesting to say the least.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:39AM
ohiomom

Came through here, but I do not think it was a derecho, at least not in my area. Typical storm damage, trees/branches down, some loss of power and flooding in low areas. Guess there was a tornado watch for our county late last night, I was asleep so did not see it on the news.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:00AM
david52 Zone 6

They didn't call it that, but maybe 5 years ago, in the winter at night, we had straight line winds that were the strongest I've ever experienced. Opened the back door, I needed help closing it. Knocked over thousands of trees.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:06AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Sure that wasn't a Chinook Wind, David? Common during the winter in the Rockies region, often a warm wind from compression heating of the air mass sliding down the mountain.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:16AM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

To all in its path, stay safe.

The term confused me; derechos (humanos) are threatening? Derecho but not izquierda?

The weather term goes back to the 19th century, so nativists shouldn't complain. I never considered that 'tornado' had foreign roots since it's so commonly used.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:18AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

You forgot "derecha" (right)

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:37AM
markjames

We had the weather band on the VHF on during one of the Derechos with the robotic voice saying winds calm @ 5 to 10 MPH with seas @ 1 to 3 feet as we were battling massive waves, currents, flying debris and loose boats/docks.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:40AM
david52 Zone 6

Marshall, the chinook winds are generally warm winds from the south that come in the winter and melt the snow. This thing was some sort of blizzard from the west - it went on for maybe 30 minutes, and I seriously thought we'd lose the roof.

Next morning, I had snow sticking to the undersides of the eves, and not just on the windward side of the house.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:47AM
TxanGoddess

Good luck to all those affected by the path ... in my thoughts and prayers ...

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:52AM
vgkg(Z-7)

Got lucky here, had high winds but no damage and just 1/2" rain, real lucky as 100,000 in Va have lost power....and this bugger is still on it's way to the coast.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:45PM
pnbrown

Started around ten last night, blowing pretty stiff now but not too bad, not sure yet how much rain but plenty. We had a northeaster right around this time last year as well. I guess it's a new thing.

Over twelve inches now since May 19th. We could have done with some of Colorado's dry weather (just a little) and they could have used some of our rain. Somebody better invent the Global Weather Distributor quite soon...

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:27AM
labrea_gw

wasn't bad here just very heavy rains for about an hour. Iwas on my way to the vet when it came down!~

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:43AM
jodik_gw

We're now in a holding pattern, waiting for rain. It's starting to get kinda dry out there...

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
The problem with salvation
A christian need only believe in jesus,..that he was...
asleep_in_the_garden
Supremes Uphold Voter ID Law
The Supreme Court let stand a 7th Circuit Court ruling...
Christopher_H
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
Indiana has HIV epidemic
Pence orders short-term needle exchange to combat HIV...
momj47
The Governor of Maine v. Stephen King
King - 1 LePage - 0 (IMO, the Governor is one of...
momj47
Sponsored Products
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Siam Mocca 5 ft. 6 in. x 7 ft.
Home Depot
Take Me To The Beach
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Chrome 12 Round Rainshower Shower Head & Rectangular Wall Mounted Arm
Hudson Reed
LBL Lighting | Onyx Cylinder Chandelier Head
$196.00 | YLighting
Lawn Light Outdoor Deck Mount Fixture
Lightology
Chrome Pull Down Kitchen Faucet
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Hotel Grand Egyptian Cotton 500 Thread Count Pillow Sham (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Sky Fritz McKenzie Ottoman
Cost Plus World Market
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™