growing berries

parks_gardenerFebruary 12, 2008

I live in zone 2 (I think): short growing season - can get a freeze on 4th of July; 7200 ft. altitude, lows of -5 in winter with highs in mid-80's in summer. Does anyone know if any berries (blackberry, raspberry, boysenberry, etc.) can be grown here and if so, how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevation(z5a Utah)

You piqued my curiosity, and I did a google search on "raspberry usda zone" and came up with the website linked below. They have a list of a bunch of raspberries, but none of them say they're hardy in zone 2. Maybe someone else here has some experience growing them at high altitude? I grow some fine here at 4500' but I'm in zone 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry varieties

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 5:09PM
david52_gw

I believe -5ºF would put you in Zone 5, and as far as frosts on the 4th, that shouldn't be much of a problem for raspberries, I should think. Wild raspberries grow up to 9 - 10,000 feet

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 5:31PM
digit(ID/WA)

You can check out your USDA zone somewhere here on GW or use a more current, little less precise, and unofficial (government-wise) Arbor Day Foundation zone designation linked below.

digitS'

Here is a link that might be useful: Arbor Day zones

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 1:34AM
michelle_co(z5 CO)

Looks like z6. z2 would be -40 to -50 for your winter low.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 9:39AM
stevation(z5a Utah)

So hey, good news! You can probably grow all the berries you want in your zone. Except blueberries -- they require acid soil that we just can't imitate very well here in the West.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 10:16AM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi ParksGardener,

Did you look up your zone in the Sunset Western Garden Book? If so they use a completely different zone system from everybody else. If you're z2 in Sunset, you're probably z5 according to the USDA---and just about everybody else. And if you're z5 or z6 that would mean you could grow just about any kind of small fruit you wanted to--and definitely the ones you named. (z5 goes down to -20, and z6 goes down to -10---without breaking them down into "a and b!" In Arizona, I'm guessing you're more likely in 6a or 6b.

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Zone Chart

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™