Sulpomag and Pets?

hannah82(9b)October 8, 2011

Hello!

I bought a box of sulpomag to fertilize our in-ground plumeria but have some reservations on applying it because of the possible health risks it may have on our two outdoor cats. I planned on topdressing (up to 3 cups and then well watered-in) with sulpomag vs. tilling only because the ground is rock hard and near impossible to till. As any cat owners will know, cats groom their fur and paws constantly and I fear they could ingest or get some of the sulfur in their eyes after hanging around the fertilized area. I was told that it takes about 2 weeks for the stuff to start breaking down and penetrating into the soil and that sulfur can be very harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the mucus membranes in the eyes. I'm not sure how concentrated sulfur is in sulpomag but I want to know if I have a real cause for concern here. Thank you all for your time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_first_kms2(8/9)

I don't know the quantities are significant enough to cause problems but I am not experienced in the use of Sulpomag. In the absence of direct knowledge; is it possible to set up some sort of temporary barrier? Not much will stop a cat that wants to get into something but normally you can unmotiviate them from going to that specific spot.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 3:04PM
Ament(5a SD)

What info I could find online suggests it should be Alright to use this product, if used properly. However, I've never used this product myself. :) So I cannot speak from personal knowledge. Just from researching it.

~Tina

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 4:10AM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

You could also use a sprinkler head with a motion sensor. It turns on when there is movement in front of te sensor and turns off within 1 or 2 seconds.

They are sensitive enough to pick up a cat at distances less than 15 feet.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 10:27AM
hannah82(9b)

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions and advice!

So far I'm leaning towards the temporary barrier idea; it'll keep those curious paws and noses from the treated area. Maybe plastic tarp weighted down with a few heavy rocks should do the trick? The plumeria canopy keeps the root zone pretty shaded so hopefully I won't inadvertently solarize the soil underneath.

Thanks again everyone!

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Contest time!
Now that spring's finally here, let's have a little...
jandey1
Jungle Jacks
Not sure if I can ask this here. I was thinking about...
plumeriai45
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Spring is on it's way...
Just wanted to post some "wake up" progress....
tunatony
Plant robbers
I can't believe it! My plants are in the back yard...
angel325
Sponsored Products
Tough-1 Great Grips Sweat Scrapers - 6 pk. - 68-9106-0-0
$33.99 | Hayneedle
Eastwood Armless Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Chooty & Co Monaco Breeze Pillow Multicolor - CS17K2120
$30.54 | Hayneedle
Petmate Large Assorted Colors Hi Back Cat Litter Pan - 0860-2617
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Tough-1 Storm-Buster West Coast Blanket - 32-160-8-81
$55.99 | Hayneedle
Recife Saddle Stitch Cocoa Rug (8'6 Square)
Overstock.com
Florham Park Outdoor Rug
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Laminate Tile & Stone Flooring: Bruce Flooring Aged Terracotta 8 mm Thick x
$2.99 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™