Trying to Identify a Hot Pepper

anna13(z6 ON)August 28, 2012

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking on this forum for several weeks enjoying all the pictures posted on hot peppers. A friend of mine gave me a jar of salsa that he made with ghost peppers and other peppers which got me started on growing hot peppers from seeds which I have been very successful at LOL!

I have received a pepper seedling from a friend which I am trying to identify. The pod is approximately 2.5 inches long and starts off green and then turns almost black and ripens to a deep red. The pods on my plant are at the black stage right now. Would any of you know what kind of pepper this is? I tried a ripe pod that he gave me and it is very hot, something like a super chili pepper.

All my other hot peppers have ripened and I have dehydrated approximately 800 pods to make into flakes with another 400 or so still on the plants to make salsa with.

Thank you for all your assistance and have a GREAT day!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anna13(z6 ON)

Sorry, the picture I uploaded showed up in the preview but when I posted it did not show up.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 3:47PM
Darylltx

Can you take a closeup of one of the leaves. There is a website with hundreds of pics of peppers but most have the leaves as a secondary source of identification. Are all your pods upright, like as in an ornamental pepper? Are your pods in clusters or just singly, like that one shown?

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:44PM
anna13(z6 ON)

Hi Darylltx,

Thank you for your response. To answer your question, yes, the pods are upright also single as shown.

I will post a few more pictures to help identify it.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:27PM
anna13(z6 ON)

Here is another shot.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:28PM
anna13(z6 ON)

Lastly a picture of the plant.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:29PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

That is a Goat Weed pepper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goat Weed pepper

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 10:37PM
smokemaster_2007

Or...
Vietnamese Black Dragon , Chile Negro De Arbol , Black Chile Verde , Black Cobra...

There are several variations of similar looking peppers.
Several different countries have their version.
I've got a collection of several similar plants,my gray Fuzzy collection. :)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 11:40PM
anna13(z6 ON)

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look this up for me, I really appreciate it.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 11:15AM
azzure08

I don't know what it is but it looks really cool and how many plants do you have to get 800 pods?

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 1:58PM
anna13(z6 ON)

Hi azzure087:

I only have 2 small plants with about 12 pods on the plants pictured above. I got carried away with germinating about 10 hot pepper plants, it is from these that I have harversted 800 pods with more to be harvested LOL!

The plants that I started were Heatwave, Prairie Fire, Habenero, Super Chili, Jalapeno, Thai Dragon, Ghost and Chocolate Ghost. And, bought what was labelled "ghost" pepper from a vendor at the Farmer's Market in Almonte, Ontario. The pods on this one are still green but I can tell that it is not a ghost, the poor guy probably got the seeds off the net or through someone else that took him for a ride.

Although I have harvested 150 ghosts off my 2 plants with still about 150 to go I have decided that these were just a novelty and will only start one plant next year. The ones that I really like are the chili peppers and the pods of the plant above, which I will use more often with my meals.

Here is a close-up picture of one of my ghost plants.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 2:46PM
Darylltx

Wow Ana where do you live ontario? It seems you are getting a huge amount of pods on your plants, and those Bhut Jolokia look nice.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 3:03PM
anna13(z6 ON)

Hi Darylltx,

I live in Toronto (Etobicoke) about 10 minutes from the airport. The ghost peppers were started from seed on January 23rd and started to germinate on February 3rd. I started them in a propagator on top of a seed starting mat which gave them nice bottom heat. They grew under florescent lights until it was warm enough to put them outside. As they grew I kept on transplanting them into larger pots. All my pepper plants are in containers in the driveway facing south. I used half strength fertilizer (19-31-17) to keep them happy.

Here is a picture of my chocolate ghost baby LOL!

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
potting peppers: ideal growing medium and container size
this will be my second year trying to grow hot peppers,...
tcleigh
Time Lapse Video of Carolina Reaper Sprouting
Check it out my little reapers are finally coming up....
capsicummaximum
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
have 3rd generation hot bell (jalepeno bell cross)-- seed swap
need bhut jolokia/ghost pepper immediately- it's getting...
greengrass12
Saving Pepper Seeds and reducing cross pollination
I'm a beginner pepper grower, and I would like to save...
thaumaturge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™