Beat the British Weather!

richiebaker1245(8)August 3, 2012

Hi all,

given up on trying to keep my plants warm & dry, so bought a poor mans greenhouse and added some new plants! British summer has been very poor, this walk in greenhouse only cost me 30 pounds from Aldi - wished I'd bought it weeks ago. Hopefully have some progress now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richiebaker1245(8)

This is the living room! :-)

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:05PM
richiebaker1245(8)

New baby habanero...

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:07PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Jalapeno, that wasn't doing well, bit more healthy...

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:09PM
richiebaker1245(8)

"Spanish pepper" with no name, bought from Wilkinsons (same as walmart), nearly dead when I bought for 1 pound. cut off the droopy leaves & re-potted. Signs of life now...

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:14PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Cayenne - long slim red. Not changed much, but will up-date y'all! :-)

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:16PM
richiebaker1245(8)

I ordered a dorset naga off tinternet. a couple of good stems were broken off in transit. :-( Decided to cut off big leaves & flowers, dip stems in rooting gel, re-pot and cover & hopefully get a couple of clones... Will keep you up-dated.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:20PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Stunning plant _ Numex Twighlight. Lots of beautiful colours, and quite hot too!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:23PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Called Sparkler, the supplier told me it was an accidental cross in the poly tunnel. Will end up similar to the twighlight, but with many more, smaller pods.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:26PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Cheyenne, first pod turning orange. Yum yum! ;-)

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:28PM
richiebaker1245(8)

My older Hab, just starting to get flowers.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:30PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Naga morich looking healthier now the super hots are warming up and drying out.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:32PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Don't tell the others, but this is my baby! Bhut Jolokia - growing a bit now, and a few flowers! Just hope my greenhouse idea isn't too late for fruit.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:35PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Chocolate Bhut, I'm told it will have a nice, mellow sweet chocolate taste? NOT! Looking greener now though.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:38PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Super hots hall of fame.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:43PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Sweet pepper, popeii I think.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:02PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Another shot of Pompeii.. Had to take these at night, think my battery went in camera?

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:05PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Apache, great for british weather!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:08PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Dorset Naga, couple of good stems broke off, but hopefully cloned!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:11PM
richiebaker1245(8)

This is my middlefinger to the British summer, hope all turns red! Will keep you all updated, but looking better! Good luck all!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:15PM
kuvaszlvr

Hey don't complain. We've had 100+ since around the 3rd week in June and 110+ for the last week and in a severe drought to boot (100-102 at 9 pm this whole week). It's bad enough trying to keep garden plants alive, but trees are dying at an alarming rate. It's so sad to drive down the road and look at all the dead and dying trees and know there's not a single thing you can do... I'm watering constantly and things are still dying. I was hoping to get them through to cooler weather and then they'd start producing, but right now I don't think they are going to survive to cooler weather. Even worse, having to go out in this heat to water... At least all my superhots are in the sunroom and looking good. Mother nature can be a real b!
I'd take some pics of my peppers but it's too depressing, and, I just don't want to go outside yet. I would kill for England's weather... it's all relative. :-)

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:51PM
esox07

HI:
You might want to check your: "Cheyenne, first pod turning orange. Yum yum! ;-)". I am not so sure that is a Cayenne if that is what you are thinking it is. First, the ridges on the pods isn't characteristic of Cayenne and then the fact that it is going to "Orange" gives me pause too. Mine have always gone green to red with no orange phase.
Bruce
PS: Almost looks like a Pepperoncini to me.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:11PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Hey Bruce, It's a "cheyenne", not cayenne. Sold all over the UK, because they're easy to grow, and don't need it really hot. Thanks for the input though. Rich.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:03AM
richiebaker1245(8)

Hey kuvaszlvr, that's really sad, I feel for you. At least I can protect my plants from the rain & warm them up a bit. I don't suppose u can do much about the heat. We all moan about the British weather, but we have a beautiful, green country. I'll stop moaning about our weather after your post.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:44AM
kuvaszlvr

Hey richiebaker. I shouldn't complain, this area wasn't called the dust bowl for nothing. ;-) Sadly, the dust bowl days were nothing compared to the heat and drought that occurred here in the past. A few years ago it rained all summer with high heat, I had to mow every 3 days...I haven't mowed for over a month this year... so it's not all bad. ;-)

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:26AM
richiebaker1245(8)

At least that's a plus - no mowing, and superhots are looking good! It's not all bad... ;-)

Rich.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 4:33PM
esox07

Richiebaker: I thought it was just a mistype or one of those translation from real English to Americanized English. Another variety of pepper I had never heard of. Two years ago, if someone had asked, I would have said there are less than 25 varieties of hot peppers.
Hmmmm,
Bruce

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 4:59PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Ha ha! Glad I'm educating you Bruce! Not heard of it myself 'till I bought it. Quick google search and it's as available as apache here. Thanks though Bruce, you crop up on nearly every post - a wealth of info on pain, sweat & burning bum holes! Why do we do it? That's the question I can't answer to my Missus... ;-)

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 6:01PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Nice! And thank you for the many pics. I don't have a greenhouse because I don't need one. But you are making me start to re-think that equation. Great collection, too!

Sorry about the football result.

"Let me tell you. It's always something!" - Roseanne Rosanadana.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:17PM
PEPPERMEISTER1(6)

Richie, beautiful greenhouse mate! Way to give the finger (or two) to British weather.
Bruce, I agree. 4-5 years ago I thought there were like 20 peppers. Then one day I drove by Cross Country Nurseries in NJ and the chile phenomenon claimed another victim. I sure do love it.
Richie, there are some good articles about the psychology of chile heads (Google it).

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:20PM
richiebaker1245(8)

Thanks for the thumbs up guys n gals. Just wished I'd bought the greenhouse months ago, I would be much further ahead. This is my first year of growing chillies properly, done bells, apache and sweet before, but just plonked them in a tub and left them. These superhots are addictive, and now every time I go a garden centre and see a chilli variety I haven't got, I've gotta buy it.

Thanks to everyone, I love this site. One big happy family of nutters, who struggle to grow the hottest plants on the planet, and then maybe eat one sliver of a pod off one! Respect!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™