when to grow spring wheat

mcfaroff(z5/6 NM)March 23, 2010

I am timid about putting the spring wheat out while is still is snowing and the temperatures get to the low 20s. My field is ready I am just not sure it will germinate. Is anyone experienced in growing wheat in zone 5/6 at 7000' elevation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colokid(5)

Spring wheat will pretty much take care of itself when planted any time. It will actually germinate a little bit at 28 or 30 degrees. Some times it pays to wait until some weed seeds sprout and you kill them, then plant the wheat.
I only grew wheat at 5000 feet and many years ago so my senior memory might be lacking.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 12:16PM
markmahlum

I grew up on a Northern Plains farm and we grew quite a bit of wheat. We planted it as soon as the fields could be worked so we could take advantage of the moisture and cool temperatures. A little snow after planting will help with moisture. Wheat planted too late will be of lower yield and quality as heat damages it.

Mark

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 11:19PM
mcfaroff(z5/6 NM)

Thanks Mark and Colokid for your help. My wheat is in, and its all up to the grain gods now.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 4:37PM
dirtroadmama

I am growing some spring wheat this year. Yesterday I noticed that a few of the stalks were dead. I picked one of them and opened the heads, and they were empty (at least, that is how they appeared to me, but I've never grown wheat before).

Last night I went out the garden with a flashlight to pick said dead stalk, and saw that there were grasshoppers all over the place. Nearly 1/3 of the stalks had a grasshopper sitting on it. Could they be killing the wheat? Most of the wheat is doing fine. As I said, there were only a few stalks that were dead.

Additional info: the wheat is growing in a 4x30ish foot plot. The area was turned over, but I did not remove all the grass before planting the wheat. Consequently, there is plenty of grass growing with the wheat.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Hope you all found it alright!!
I think we need to do a roll call. Is anyone else reeling...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
How much light for seedlings...
I've started plants indoors as always. I have my seedlings...
bob_in_colorado
Bits and pieces
To share interesting stuff you just found out. Generous...
david52 Zone 6
"Your Best Tomatoes
I haven't had a successful tomato crop since I moved...
popmama Zone 5
Sponsored Products
Drop of Life Vase
$13.99 | Dot & Bo
Elleridge 7" Wide Tiffany Style Glass Mini Pendant Light
$99.98 | Lamps Plus
Knit Throw 50" x 70" - CORAL
$199.90 | Horchow
Rocker Outdoor Wall Sconce by Eglo
$316.00 | Lumens
Torre 18 White Two-Light Sconce with Titan Glass
$216.00 | Bellacor
Possini Euro Onida 40 1/2" Wide Crystal Glass Bath Light
Euro Style Lighting
Page Bench - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
New Antiqued Hand Knotted Red & Ivory 6'x9' Unique Oriental Kazak Wool Rug H3380
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™