Something eating my leaves

Dragon66(9)August 19, 2014

This is a Trinidad scorpion I had on my porch. About a week ago I put it outside to get more sun and notice something eating the leaves. I looked all around with a magnifying glass but didn't see anything. First it was one leaf the next day it was another. I also have a small hibiscus plant close by that the same thing is happening. My first thought is ants but I don't see any or nothing. Anyone recognize or know what it is any how can I stop it?

Thanks
Ron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Leaf cutter ants don't do surgery in that manner. (Besides, I don't think we have any around here.) Most likely it is a small caterpillar of some kind.

Don't sweat it. You have to expect leaf damage at this time of year, and the plants are way beefy and beyond caring. Just curse the little bugger in absentia and go back to yelling at the television news (one of my favorite sports, btw...)

Dennis

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:38PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Yeah, like Dennis said I wouldn't worry about it when the plants are mature. I got lots of earwigs and slugs . They keep eating lower leaves.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:44PM
Dragon66(9)

Thanks the response guys. Right now I could count how of leaves have been eaten but on hibiscus plant I left it alone and literally all the leAves we're eaten off. It's now starting to produce some new leaves again. Do these slugs only eat at night?

thanks again
Ron

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:30AM
kclost

Yes, I think they only do eat at night. Try some diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the soil around the base of the plants. That will take care of any slugs or caterpillers crawling to your plant.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 8:14AM
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9

Here's a recent thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get rid of slugs and snails

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 8:35AM
Dragon66(9)

Thanks kclost.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 9:20AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Some caterpillars - notably horn worms - will strip a plant in a day. But those are difficult to miss with a magnifying glass. They're as big as the glass.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 10:22PM
ronnyb123(Zone 9)

Could be some grasshoppers. Saw a bunch today (large and brown) laying around on the dirt. When you walk close, they fly away.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 10:54PM
Dragon66(9)

The diatomaceous earth definitely did it. Haven't seen anymore leaves chewed since the treatment.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™