TX Cool front, 48 deg approaching: water or keep on the dry side?

funinthesunincl(Z9 TX Gulf Coast)October 27, 2011

With the first cool front of the season approaching, do you water your plumies or keep on dry side? I always water my other tropicals, but seems to me I read somewhere to keep them on the dry side. What do you think? It's too early to move them in for the winter if needed at all. Thanks!!! ~MJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_first_kms2(8/9)

I would water them if I had to but why not wait a day or two. Worse that can happen is to loose a few leaves and that's going to happen anyways.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 9:52PM
jandey1(TX8)

Darn it, what happened to my 60% chance of rain? I didn't water because I was waiting for the good stuff to fall from the sky today and it never did.

MJ, I usually water right before a cool front. If nothing else the wind dries out their foliage so badly in these fronts that they seem to really need the added moisture.

Gotta go dig out some sweaters now. Sheesh.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 11:03PM
funinthesunincl(Z9 TX Gulf Coast)

It is raining cats & dogs over here!!!! WOW!!!

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 11:11PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hello Everyone,

MaryJane,

We are having a cold front approach here as well...temps are hitting down to 45 tonight....

My trees are all moist and actually wet. I would rather them stay like that for the days of the front to pass, so they will remain heavy and then once the front passes, they will dry out pretty fast.

I do want to start to dry them out to prepare them to be brought inside, but i did have to bring in some that were pretty moist. Most are inside except four huge trees, and with the rain they are way to heavy to lift. So they will stay out until this front passes and have a chance to dry out!!!

Good Luck down there!!!

Jen...I hope you finally get some rain!!! You have really had a time with this...

North of us...snow!!!

Glad im off for the next four days!!! Things could get pretty nasty up in the north east!!! UGGGG!

Take care,

Laura in VB

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 4:14AM
More Discussions
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
Need help with a sick Plumeria
Glad to have joined your site and hello from sunny...
mag107
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™