Seedlings 1st bloom

dewaine_2008October 23, 2010

We came very close to losing this seedling in the big freeze of January 2007. She's bloomed for the first time today and if she stays like this, I think we'll keep her.

Dewaine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Dewaine,

She's a beauty!!! Congratulations!!!

Laura in VB

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 6:07PM
Camelotshadow(9bCA)

very sweet
love the red rimming

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 10:09PM
jandey1(TX8)

OMG! That is so gorgeous, and, as usual, your photography is impressive.

It looks very much like Vera Cruz Rose--is it a seedling of that? I'm not familiar with 7 Oaks.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 10:45PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Beautiful color!!!! Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 11:47PM
brighty(9 CA)

Wow, so beautiful.
How long did your seedling take to bloom? I have several 3 to 4 years old that have yet to get an inflo.

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 12:07AM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

looks like a keeper. perhaps a seedling of Vera cruz rose. My VCR has less red (but you are warmer) but it has a very powerful and lovely scent. does it smell great? Thanks for sharing. Bill

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 1:35AM
dewaine_2008

Thanks everybody, I'm glad you like this one.

Jandey, 7 Oaks is a local nursery that we discovered I think in 2002. They had acquired a LOT of seeds from Jim Little and had seedlings in 1 gal to 3 gal pots. They have a 50% sale twice a year and we were buying seedlings for next to nothing. We still have a few of their seedlings that have yet to bloom.

I have no idea of the lineage of this seedling, but you're right, she looks (so far) a lot like VCR.

Brighty, this one was hit hard by a freeze in 2007 and had to be cut way down. We got her in 2002, but I have no way of knowing how old she was at that time. Most of our seedlings have taken 3 to 6 years to bloom, but some take much longer.

Thanks Bill. I was very disappointed when I sniffed her and couldn't detect a scent. But she's under the canopy of a really big camphor tree and only gets afternoon sun (when we're lucky enough to have sun shine). I'm surprised the colors are as intense as they are considering the shade she's in and the weather we're having. I won't get too excited one way or the other for a couple years, but I think she has real potential.

Thanks all,

Dewaine

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Frangipani Fading?
So 3 of my frangipani's are doing this badly on the...
archades
Spring is on it's way...
Just wanted to post some "wake up" progress....
tunatony
Plant robbers
I can't believe it! My plants are in the back yard...
angel325
Pots/Planters
Hi Everyone! I have been a long time lurker as I was...
Houndhome
Plumeria Fertilizer Of Chioce ?
Hello Gang; Was wondering what the senior Plumeria...
edzone9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™