Blackberries and raspberry varieties in UTAH

babdav(5)March 17, 2011

New gardenweb member here. looking to plant some blackberry and raspberries, hoping for YOUR input on successful and tasty varieties in utah.

*****RASPBERRIES:

SAANITCH

WILLAMETT

CASCADE BOUNTY

TULAMEEN (excited for this one)

CUMBERLAND

HERITAGE

LATHAM

***BLACKBERRIES!

Arapaho

LOGAN

BLACK DIAMOND

TRIPLE CROWN

I know a little bit about each of these but its difficult to find much PRACTICAL info. Sellers usually all say the same thing "DELICIOUS high yield wonderful" blah blah. :)

using process of elimination, i think i will ditch the arapaho, willamette and latham. They seem to be the least desirable so far. Thanks for your input everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oakiris

I don't live in Utah and don't grow berries but found some info for you with a quick google search: Blackberries in Utah

Growing Raspberries and Blackberries in the Inland Northwest and the Intermountain West See page 20 for a table of recommended varieities.

You should probably check with your cooperative extension office to see what they recommend for your county: Utah University Cooperative Extension Offices You certainly don't want to get a variety that becomes an invasive weed - ask the folks in Oregon about blackberries!

I hope these links will be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Utah Berry Grows Association Newsletter

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:07PM
babdav(5)

shucks. that link didnt work (growing raspberries and blackberries in the inland.....)

I have been asking around a bit and have discovered the following varieties to be good for utah. These are also available at nurseries and hardware stores like the borg.

heritage (small, long season, hardy)
canby (similar red rasp)
cascade rasp
caroline (large, excellent flavor, shorter season)
polka (great flavor, med large)

black diamond blackberry?
Triple crown (vigorous, large berries, thornless)

still learning. will post more later.

any other experience in the mountain west about brambles and cane berries?

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 1:47PM
nativewines

Hey babday, I live in central Utah at 6,000 ft. (sanpete co) and the triple crown won't make it here as the flower buds winter kill. Chester grows and bears pretty good here.
By far the best rasp. for me has been Caroline and I also do well with a yellow rasp. called Anne.
By far the most important factors are good culture(moisture, mulch, pruning). I have had real problems with raspberry crown borer; it is more common than you might think.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 1:11AM
More Discussions
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™