Eradicating Scrub Oak

maryhmMarch 29, 2008

I have a hillside that is just covered in scrub oak. That stuff is just a pest! It pops up everywhere. I want to remove it, or at least slow it down- any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

There are far, far, worse things that can happen on a hillside than a native plant like scrub oak.

Honestly, if you're on a place where you have a lot of it, you might look into how these bushes protect the next stage of reforestation, ie protecting the junipers / pine trees from elk and deer, and maybe help that process along with a prudent planting here and there.

Other than that, I would guess that cutting it down would just allow the introduction of all kinds of wind-blown seeds and weeds.

The acorns are edible.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 10:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinco(z5 CO)

Everyone has their own tastes, I know but I think it would be SO sad to get rid of such a beautiful shrub. If they're getting lanky and unattractive they may need a good, hard pruning to revitalize them to their glossy green potential. I put a link below to a page demonstrating how to prune scrub oak to reduce fire danger and maintain their value for wildlife. You will need to scroll down the page to get to the section specific to gambel (scrub) oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: scrub oak management

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
Dig your own water well?
Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation...
ion_source_guy
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™