Accidental harvest

highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)March 9, 2012

Okay, so I didn't harvest all of my carrots in time last fall, and the ground was already frozen when I tried to get the last Juane de Doubs out of the ground. So I finally get outside today, for the first time to look around and check things out. The fall planted garlic is already starting to sprout. As I was giving it a drink, I saw a little bit of green, started digging around and look what I found!!!

There were a couple of ginormous mutant carrots, probably close to 5" across.

There were also a couple of normal sized carrots, and a few babies.

I threw out the mutants, and the fat, woody ones, but I may see if some of the smaller ones are actually edible. What's amazing to me, is that usually whatever gets missed in the fall is rotten, or has worm holes of some sort. Maybe it's because this winter was so mild and dry on this side of the state, that they are still viable.

Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Very nice, Bonnie! Isn't it fun to get a surprise like that! Unless that variety gets woody, I think you may find they're sweeter and better after being out in the cold--like parsnips--than they would have been if you had dug them in fall.

You reminded me that I need to get the rest of my carrots, beets, and parsnips dug up SOON! With the warm temps we're gonna have around here for the next week, they're gonna start growing and not be good anymore if I don't do it now!

Skybird

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 8:26PM
elkwc(6b)

I used to leave my carrots in the ground till around now. But the last few years they have been located where I needed to work the ground in the fall so haven't over wintered any. I've found them to be as good if not better in the later winter. Jay

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 1:52PM
david52_gw

I bet those big ones would be pretty good roasted in butter.

/I missed lunch.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™