Mini Rose Outside for the Winter

Will07(5)January 11, 2013

My boyfriend gave me a mini rose for Valentines Day last year. It came in a 6" pot and last spring I repotted it to about an 8" pot and put it up against the house where it was very hot and sunny. It had a lot of growth and blooms, also the spider mites got at it when it dried a bit but I managed to fend them off. Once the cool weather started I moved it to our greenhouse that's on the side of the house but it's not heated unless the sun is shinning on it. It was doing really well and I decided to burry the pot before the ground froze (just in the soil where we grow tomatoes in the summer) for the winter and covered it with one of those styrofoam rose cones. It is right up against the house but is buried in a snow bank right now.

I'm wondering if it will survive the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Usually snow is a great blanket for roses. What is a killer is cold, dry winds. If the snow melts, cover it up with something until spring.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 10:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Leave it alone. It's in the perfect place to spend the winter. If the snow melts do what Ken said and it should come back in the spring!

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Is this just transplant shock?
Hello, I got these from trader joes last week. They...
jakrat85
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
How to deal with black spots
My mini-roses seem to be very vulnerable to black spots....
jujujojo_gw
to cut the blooms or not
I got a shipment of plants in today, in 5 " pots....
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
supermarket mini bought on the wrong day
My apologies if this topic has been discussed before...
Jenny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™