oh my gosh the ants

rox146October 3, 2013

SO, what can you put on/in the potted plumeria to deter the ants. This is the worst year I have seen for them moving in, eggs and all into my potted plumeria. I don't want to harm the trees, yet I am covered in ants all over my legs every time I water. Last year was so dry here in Calif. does this mean a wet winter? HELP! roxanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Rox,
Amdro.
You buy at any Big Box store.
It works.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 9:17PM
rox146

many mahalos...I will get some tomorrow. roxanne

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 9:48PM
freak4plumeria(So CA zone 10)

Butterfly4u I like to use Amdro, they bought out Grants Ant. The Bait works really well as they take it to the nest. Check the website and decide what u might want to use.

Good luck.

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 0:42

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 1:45AM
Lnorigb(9b/10a)

I sprinkle DE on the surface of pots and sometimes dust it up the stems. reapply as needed.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 6:01PM
rox146

SORRY...what is DE? roxanne

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 10:16PM
toomanydogs(9B)

Diatomaceous Earth. See explanation lifted from Permaculture Articles:
Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, ants or fleas) it compromises their waxy coating so that their innards turn into teeny tiny bug jerky. But it doesn't hurt mammals.

Great stuff that is pretty much straight silica.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 10:23PM
rox146

OMG...I remember this now...I have some..works on those nasty slugs too! mahalo, roxanne

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 10:54PM
pcput

I've got a off topic question that maybe someone can answer but it does have to do with ants. I have 2 pretty big dragon fruit and found some tiny knobs growing that I thought were just new branches. There are ants crawling all over these tiny knobs. I've had lots of shoots but have never seen ants on them before. I'm wondering if these could be blooms starting and that's got the ants interest? Or do you just think it something else?
Roxanne - I hope you can get your ant problem under control.
Peg

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 10:55PM
rox146

I don't know a whole lot of anything...BUT, the ants know a lot about the weather or what is to come....so I have been told by many OLD time farmers....hope your problem Peg remedies itself. roxanne

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 11:04PM
freak4plumeria(So CA zone 10)

Peg,
If your dragonfruit plant is having flowers the ants could be attracted and swarming for the sap that sometimes occurs on buds and blooms, ants also farm/protect and milk certain insects like aphids, mealy bugs, scale and I think if you see white fly eggs/larvas. You may want to shoot the ants off with water. Good Luck.
PS you can not use DE on edible plants so do not use it on your Dragon fruit plants.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 1:00AM
jandey1(TX8)

Usually I stay away from chemicals, but we get fire ants around here so I go straight for the Amdro now. They'll take it back to the colony so you can get rid of the queen and not just the workers that go through the DE.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
How To Give Away Plumeria
I bought a plumeria (gorgeous pinks and yellows) before...
treehugger101
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
Bag Rooting
I have a few cuttings that I need to get going and...
plumeriai45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™