Plumeria Problem

caroltropicalsOctober 2, 2009

I am in Houston, Tx.

I need some advice on Plumeria Pests. This is the second year that I have grown them. The first year they were just cuttings. This year most are in the ground. The plumies in the front have orange all over the bottom of the leaves. What is this pest !!

I have tried to spray with a systemic insecticide. I hate using insecticides so I tried Neem which didn't work at all. (nothing seems to work) Is the orange an effect of spider mites. I keep spider mites off of my other plants with orange peels. Should I pull these infected leaves off of the plant.

Also, I would like to keep these in the ground even though the temps get into the mid to high 30's. My plan is the cover them with sheets. Will all the leaves fall off if I leave them in the ground. Does anyone have any suggestions other than this. They would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogdad(Zone 9)

search through this web for "rust." There are some chemicals for it and many often cut off the leaves and clean under the plant. If it returns in the spring, take the chemical path.
Sheets are not a good preventative measure for frost. the sheet gets damp and then freezes on the plant causing damage. Look at a farm supply for inexpensive frost cloth. If not found. suspend a tarp above the plant but not touching it to keep frost from settling on the plants.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 1:18AM
caroltropicals

Thanks for the information. I will look for these sheets at the farm supply this morning. I had been treating for bugs and now I find out it is rust. Boy was I working in the wrong direction. Thanks again,

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 1:05PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

If you are in So.Cal., Chris Roy at Orange County Farm Supply in Orange Ca is very knowledgeable about treating rust.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
OT testing.. Wanting to say hello to my friends!!
Hi everyone!! I'm just testing out the new format...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bag Rooting
I have a few cuttings that I need to get going and...
plumeriai45
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™