Any NYC Area plumeria owners out there?

shorjaiOctober 12, 2010

any nyc area plumeria owner out there willing to sell me some of their plumeria or cuttings??? please let me know.. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jandey1(TX8)

Wow. Tough crowd.

I'm guessing there aren't a lot of NYC plumeria growers with direct sun and space being at a premium there. I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of plumies when I lived up that way.

There are some good plants still available on ebay, which I personally use even though I can find plants at the nurseries here. HD, Lowes and my best locals never know what variety or even color they're selling so I buy named ones online. Florida Colors and Brad's Buds and Blooms are also very good, as is Maui Plumeria Gardens.

Good luck!

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 10:08PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I live in NYC and grow plumerias but I dont have any to give away right now. I got all of my plumerias off of e-bay. Plumerias do pretty well here and I never have had a problem getting them to flower (but they flower late in the summer). NYC gets really muggy during the summer and the plumerias really seem to thrive in that weather!
Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 12:16AM
shorjai

Hi alex.. which ebay seller do you get your cuttings from?? how many plumeria you own right now??

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 1:43PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I got my plumerias from a lot of different ebay sellers but the 2 that come to mind are rollmisty aka Two Willes Nursery (only have plumeria sometimes) and californiahoya aka Jungle jacks plumeria (there plumerias are expensive, but they are worth the price). I didnt get cuttings from them and all the sellers that I got cuttings from gave me cuttings that never rooted. I have terrible luck with cuttings.
I have 7 plumerias right now, one is about 7 feet tall, three are around 4 feet tall, one is 2 or 3 feet tall (its a dwarf so they dont get very tall) and 2 more still are seedlings (one actually is a cutting because I had to cut the plant after it rotted and I did manage to get that one to root for me!).
If you are going to buy cuttings, I would wait until late spring because then you can keep them outside where they will have enough heat to get them rooted. Early spring is a really good time to buy plumerias that are rooted because they would only be inside for a few weeks and then have the entire summer to grow.
Good luck!!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Wanted Good Size Penang Peach & Aztec Gold Cuttings ..
Hello Plumeria Forum members , If Any member Has A...
edzone9
Need advise please
I have 2 plumeria plants that are ~7 yrs old . They...
robinkaufman
Taking A Bare Rooted Tree And Potting Into Gritty Mix
Hi Guys and Gals!! I received a Bare Rooted tree from...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
1st Plumie Drama of the Season
It's unbelievable how early the season has started...
freak4plumeria
question about waxing cuttings
do i have to wait for them to harden off like normal...
kingbingo
Sponsored Products
Prairie Collection Rug 5'6" x 7'5" - BEIGE
$1,799.00 | Horchow
Darya Rugs Tribal, Gold, 3'0" x 4'10" M1770-494
Darya Rugs
'Happy Birthday' Mug
$8.99 | zulily
Vessel Porcelain Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Blossom Pink Narrow Zig Zag 13 1/2" W Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus