The leaves on my mini rose are turning yellow

shadygarden_CO(z5 Denver)January 27, 2006

Help! My mini roses' leaves are turning yellow. I got a gift potted mini rose for Christmas and want to keep it alive until I can plant it outside. It was doing fine and I repotted it about a week ago, dividing the four plants and putting them in separate pots. They seemed okay, didn't wilt or anything, but now the leaves of the two largest are turning yellow. Could this be caused by spider mites? Or is it from overwatering? Any help would be appreciated. How do you know if you have spider mites?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Hi,

It could be both. But they do like to be kept moist, so I dont think thats it. They are very susceptible to spider mites indoors. You should be able to see them clearly by looking closely at the leaves & underneath the leaves. You will see little webs and small red/orange dots on them-those are the mites. They are very hard to treat, you will need a powerful fungicide. Follow the directions on the bottle and follow up if needed. If you dont have mites, let the rose go another day or 2 without water. You may also want to keep it on a moist pebble tray for humidity, but ONLY if you dont have mites. More humidity means more pests. Minis are just difficult to grow indoors for any length of time. Good luck!

Jen

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 8:17AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

See the thread below which contains many of the other threads that can help. It could be overwatering, it could be spider mites (In addition to what Jen said, hold a sheet of white paper under the leaves and shake, if there are little spots that look like pepper, those are spider mites), it could be not enough light.

Help! My indoor mini roses keep dying!

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 9:08AM
shadygarden_CO(z5 Denver)

Thanks to both Jen and Diane for your prompt advice. I do not have spider mites, apparently, from examining leaves like you said. Also, I think it is likely overwatering because the leaves are yellow on the roses in the plastic pots (two) but not on the ones in the clay pots. The plastic pots came with trays that fit very close and tight so I am going to remove those and put other trays underneath, maybe pebble trays.

Thanks again,

Marlene

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 2:55PM
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Marlene,

Ok, that is definetly it. I dont put some of my houseplants in plastic pots if I know they dont like too much water. Go w/the clay, just make sure it doesnt dry out too much.

Jen

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Is this fungus?!
I was pruning my mini roses and ran into this at the...
Nattie_Natt
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
Pleased to say
On February 10th I received eight one gallon pots of...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
How to save a potted gift rose
Although I do not profess to being any type of expert...
fleursuzie
Sponsored Products
Tite Three Pendant
Lightology
Heirloom Treasures Solid Brass Butterfly Pull
Signature Hardware
Nautica Cali Coast Cotton Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Throwing Shade Pillow Cover
| Dot & Bo
Folio Wall Sconce by Foscarini
$592.00 | Lumens
Go Mama Go Designs Wonder Bumpers Grey Cotton & Yellow Cotton Stokke Set Multico
$199.80 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™