Aspen planting

Grim42March 30, 2013

I'm thinking about planting some Aspens out front. We're at about 8,500 alt. in Woodland Park. We don't have a lawn but do have some large ponderosa pines. I saw some Aspens at HD for sale at a reasonable price. They had three trunks in each container. It did look as though the tops might have been trimmed which made me wonder if that would impact their growth? Also if I were to purchase several of these, what sort of spacing do I need to use?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

Aspen can turn into a weed, sending up shoots and runners everywhere after a few years, and you can end up with a thicket of small, stunted trees. I hear far more complaints than good things. Some people are able to control that with weekly mowing and pruning, but generally speaking, aspen really don't do well in a standard front or back yard. An entire hillside, ok.

I'd look more at birch trees - you get the same look, and they're far easier to control.

But if you want to go ahead and try, three stems in a bundle sounds about right. I don't know about spacing.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 12:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

HD would be the last place I would go for plants. Nevertheless, that high they should be OK. I agree with David that they'll sucker and you'll have to keep the antlered friends off of them, but as long as you don't mind the fact they are short-lived, why not? They are my favorite tree in the wild, but can be a disappointment in the garden.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™