a few dumb questions

bamboo_turtlesJanuary 18, 2010

Are there miniture roses without the thorns and with a sweet smelling flower ? If so , where do you get them ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

I do not know of any but check Help Me Find Rose and do a search. The one problem with many minis is they have little to no scent. Are you looking for a mini or just a rose that stays small. If you are looking for a small rose, you may want to look a other classes of roses. Remember mini describes the size of the bloom not nessessarly the size of the plant.

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 8:56PM
bamboo_turtles

I'm looking for medium plant , small leaves , small fragrant flowers ..... and thornless !

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 12:30AM
lesdvs9

I'll look into some of the minis I have, I disagree that minis don't have fragrance. Too bad you never got to walk into Mr. Moore's nursery even just once. Now thorns is a different matter, that's a harder one, you don't mention color at all.

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 2:50PM
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

Yes there are some minis that have a scent (I have some in my garden) but there are other classes of roses that have many roses that stay on the small side and have scent as well. I have Golden Buddha and it stays about 3ft and has a very strong scent and it is a Hybrid Brac. Many of the shrub roses stay on the small size and have great strong scent. But being also thornless, as lesdvs9 stated will be the hard part.

Doing a search on help me find roses I believe would still be your best bet in finding what you are looking for or at least close to it. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 5:28PM
rosessecretgarden

David austin (Heritage rose)is one of the most popular miniature rose without thorns. It grows just three feet tall and have sweet fragrance so i guess this should be what you are looking for...

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 3:41AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Heritage is NOT a miniature. It is classed as a Shrub, it gets to over 6' tall here, and the blooms are 3" - 4" wide.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 11:36AM
drasaid(zone 8)

and good luck getting one as it seems to now be off the market.
I can send you some cuttings for postage, or for swap . . . . got any nice edibles? or roses? or or or . . . . oh tempt me

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 4:11PM
lookin4you2xist(9b)

I'm not sure what I have that is a mini and thorn free? Guess I will look a little while I'm outside today. Heritage gets HUGE here ...not a mini!

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 8:34AM
kaa93

You might want to consider Marie Pavie or her sport Marie Daly. They aren't minis though, they're polyanthas, but in my experience they stay around the 3 to 4 ft range, are fragrant, with somewhat small blooms and virtually no thorns.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
source for raplh moore/sequoia mini rose blue mist
hi, does anyone know where I can get this rose? It...
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
Another planting mini question
A neighbor I met the day we were digging out all of...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™