Comment on local WM

jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)February 25, 2014

Our local WM starts to carry mini-roses. They place these in the normal shelves with another shelf above. But unlike other houseplants, the location is too dark for roses.

I wanted to buy one but it looked too sad.

I think min-roses must be placed on top shelf or a stand alone display. It cannot be placed in a shelf with dark cover above.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Are these the little mini gift roses? I've brought home some that looked half dead and they recovered quickly once they got some decent care.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 4:05PM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 16:05

It is a gamble though. Would it not be better that they are happy and long lasting on a better shelf?

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 5:00PM
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, of course, but we're talking Wally World here not a nursery. The people there have no plant training or experience and really don't care. Neither does the company as they'll just write off the losses anyway. Any time you're buying plants, particularly roses, at any of the big box stores the best thing to do is to get them as soon as they come in and get them home where YOU can take care of them properly. That being said I often rescue poor bedraggled things from certain death at these places. I admit it, I'm a sucker for an underdog, lol!

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 10:55AM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 10:55

For those giving them as gifts to their families and loved ones, they would be understandably reluctant to buy sickly looking mini-roses.

For people like me, I know these propagate by sticks, so I would not be that sympathetic. In the wild, the sticks mostly dry out naturally.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Big Pots
Last evening my husband came home with some pots he...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
How to deal with black spots
My mini-roses seem to be very vulnerable to black spots....
jujujojo_gw
Source for minis
What is the current favorite source for the miniatures?...
barb_roselover_in
Is this fungus?!
I was pruning my mini roses and ran into this at the...
Nattie_Natt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™