Question on Rose Fragrance

DeebyMarch 28, 2014

Years ago in the yard of a house I lived in at the time, there was a rose bush that was red and yellow flowers. It was gorgeous but had no fragrance at all. Is that normal for some roses or was it a mutant?
Also, why don't miniature roses have any fragrance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

There are many roses that don't have any fragrance. It's not unusual. There was a long period when breeders did not care about the fragrance as much as they did about the form of the rose, that perfect high centered, spiraled florist rose look. They effectively bred out the fragrance on a lot of the modern hybrid teas. They also were not particularly concerned about things like disease resistance either, since most people sprayed regularly, and a lot of those roses are very disease prone. As times have changed and those things have become important again so now they are working on breeding back in both the scent and the better health qualities. There are quite a few newer ones available that are beautiful, healthy and fragrant!

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 3:34PM
Deeby

Thank you. That rose was beautiful, each flower red and yellow, and looked like a fiery sunset, but I personally don't see the point in a scentless rose.
This too was weird-the oleanders had no fragrance either.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:20AM
seil zone 6b MI

Conditions may have an affect on scent too. Soil, temperature and humidity will come into play on scent. And sometimes even the time of day makes a difference. On top of all that everyone's nose is different and what I might think is a strong fragrance may only be slight to you. Or you may think something smells wonderful when I think it reeks. It's very subjective.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:09PM
Deeby

I Googled, and there are oleanders without scent. I personally love the sweet Play Doh-like fragrance of oleander.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Photogenic roses
Which roses are consistently giving you gorgeous roses...
rosecanadian
Roses that need support--ideas
I had some leftover pieces of materials that we are...
kathy9norcal
The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild
To me, this rose has a different form than most Austins...
suebelle_neworleans
Lady of Shalott
This spring I could not take my eyes off this rose...
iris_gal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™