Calculated gamble

jaliranchr(z5 EC CO)March 27, 2014

Quinoa. I've been researching this for months and it is a gamble I'm willing to take. If it doesn't work, that's another experience for willingly taking the risk at all.

High altitude -- they say 7000 ft. and I'm at 5500. Dry (check). Intense sun (check). Cool nights (check). No heat over 90 --- ouch, there's our potential killer. Yet, I'm willing to try and hope the other criteria will counter that one. If I fail, it isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

This is the black seed from the San Luis Valley, where they've been succeeding for years. Different climate than here, but, I think this is worth a shot. Am I nuts? (of course I am, but be kind, please)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mayberrygardener(z5a, Broomfield, CO)

Well of course you're nuts, but the way I see it, that's a requirement to be a gardener, and you're in great company around these parts!

I'll be following your experiment with much interest--I have considered trying to grow quinoa myself (see, also crazy). I wonder if there is something you can rig up to keep the plant in the shade on the hottest of sunny days? I'm thinking a lightweight PVC frame with floating row cover attached, again for only the hottest days?

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 12:39PM
david52_gw

Once, in a far away land, for the fun of it, I grew sesame. I ended up with a whole lot of sesame seeds. Not knowing what I was doing re harvesting them, quite a few fell on the ground, and the next season, boy did I have a lot of sesame 'starts'.

YMMV, as they say ;-).

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 12:53PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

I grew it one year, and it did fine, but wasn't clear on when to harvest, and the frost got to it before I did ...

Also, I heard somewhere that it is related to the weed called lamb's quarters. If so, that grows around here, so seems like quinoa should do well.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 11:36PM
jaliranchr(z5 EC CO)

Hahahaha, thanks for the affirmation, mayberry! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right? They grow so many things in other parts of the country that won't grow here, kind of fun to have an advantage for a change.

Sesame, David? How fun! Even if you did have a lot of volunteers to deal with.

That's encouraging to hear you had some success with it, Bonnie! I guess I'm just seeing worst possible scenario and one of those 95+ stretches for days. Still worth the gamble, I think. And nice to know the leaves are edible as well as the seeds.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™