Clearance Mini.. Needs Work?

alaskanamazon(6)February 25, 2006

My boyfriend bought me this little rose last night. It was on clearance for $1.

I've never grown a rose before (though I've been gardening for 10+ years) so I want to be sure I don't kill it.

Does it need pruned back? Repotted? It's in a 4" pot now and somewhat rootbound.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Nice buy there.

What you need to do is plant it in your garden asap or it has little chance of survival. You can plant as long as the ground there isnt frozen. They make poor houseplants, needing very full sunlight, humidity, moist soil & they get spider mites very easily. Give it a shower once a week. You dont need to prune it til next year if you're planting outside. Even then just a light trimming is fine for minis. Make sure the middle is not crowded to prevent disease. You may need to spray with fungicide in cases of mildew, blackspot etc. Minis are quite hardy. Keep well watered. Good luck with your new plant!

Jen

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 7:50PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Hi. The thread at the link below contains links to three other threads that discuss these minis. Jen's right, you need to get it outside ASAP, they are really not well suited for growing inside. Hope these help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Help! My indoor mini roses keep dying!

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 8:32PM
alaskanamazon(6)

Thanks for the advice but I live in an apartment and don't have a garden.
As far as humidity goes I grow almost nothing but high humidity plants (Drosera, Pinguicula, Nepenthes, etc) and have never had a problem with humidity levels. All my other plants are also strictly full sun plants and I live in a south facing apartment.
So theres no way it will survive long enough to go out on the balcony in spring?

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 1:54PM
mscratch(z6 S.E. Mo.)

yes it will survive long enough to place out on your balcony but repot it and place it with the other full sun plants until you can take it outside.

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 7:59PM
gw:mrs_bradley

I keep my minis indoors. I have one of those "uv"type bulbs in my lamp and place them under it for about 6 hours daily.
for fungus,use a mixture of about 1 half tsp. baking soda,1tsp. oil soap in a spray bottle of plain water and spray soil and all every 2 weeks or so. keep them moist,not wet and every now and then, place a warm fan facing it from across the room (6 feet or so ) to promote the warm temps. that roses like and circulate the air around it. Good Luck

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Is this fungus?!
I was pruning my mini roses and ran into this at the...
Nattie_Natt
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
Another planting mini question
A neighbor I met the day we were digging out all of...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Does anyone grow Baby Austin?
I saw this sweet bouquet that is less than 3 inches...
jasminerose4u, California
Mini roses successfully kept indoors over winter
Ok, finally, I got some time. The pictures were taken...
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group GLA-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Square with Ripple
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Cashel EZ Knees - EZK-2.5
$26.96 | Hayneedle
Zaragoza Eight-light Chandelier
FRONTGATE
Crosley Drop Leaf Breakfast Bar Top Kitchen Island with 24 in. Upholstered Squar
$799.00 | Hayneedle
Successi Collection Satin Brass 5.5-inch See Saw Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 12)
Overstock.com
Lynk 441118 Roll Out Double Cabinet Drawer 11W x 18D x 17H in. - 441118
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Hammered Copper Whitehaus WH1921COUM Copper Single Bowl Rectangular Sink
$999.00 | Blue Bath
Lawrence Brown Floral Hand-tufted Wool Rug (8' x 11')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™