Pruning minis?

gardeniarose(z10FLA)February 24, 2006

Is it necessary to prune miniature roses for maximum air circulation to avoid powdery mildew and other fungal diseases. I keep my regular rose bush pruned and "open" for this reason but when examining the mini I just bought, I wouldn't know where to start pruning...there are so many tiny stems and leaves and they are all crammed so close together. Are minis as prone to fungal diseases as other roses?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Yes, most of them have the same disease problems as larger roses (note that many "minis" have one or more of the roses in a larger class somewhere along the breed line). Some people just take a hedge clipper to them. I cut some off of the top, and then do more selective pruning. It is fairly easy to see which canes are the strongest, thickest. Those are the ones to use to measure against, and take out anything that is much thinner. Anything too thin won't support new growth in any case, and should be taken out. And always remove any canes that are diseased, damaged or dead.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 8:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeniarose(z10FLA)

Thanks for the reply, Diane. This is my first experience with a mini rose. The one I have is so full of tiny, thin canes and stems with loads of tiny leaves that are so crammed together. There are just a few thicker stronger canes. I guess it's never been pruned! It's blooming like crazy, though.

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
dan_keil_cr
You have lovely collection of many types of roses....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
supermarket mini bought on the wrong day
My apologies if this topic has been discussed before...
Jenny
Suggestions to plant between mini roses?
I am planting/have planted a bunch of micro minis and...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™