Looking For Pink & White Striped Mini

alameda/zone 8February 25, 2009

I recently bought a pink and white striped mini from Lowes during their valentines flower specials. There was no name. Its doing so well and such a pretty bloom I would like to have another but they are sold out. I cant find a pink/white striped mini in my seaches and was wondering if anyone can suggest some. I have seen Earthquake, Hurdy Gurdy, etc. but cant find any pink/white stripes. Thanks!

Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moroseaz

Charlie Brown is a pink-stripe but doubtful that you picked that one up at a Lowe's. Possibly a Poulsen. The name may not be available even on the website. I've never located my Palace Queen anywhere but I still have the tags. Never found Tantau, either, although I saw the tag. I still grow these roses after 10+ years.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 12:23PM
alameda/zone 8

I found Chick A Dee on Nor East website....that looked pink/white. Otherwise, I cant find anything else close. Charlie Brown looked like a darker pink or reddish color. I am going back to Lowes today - they had a few raggedey looking ones left, I wasnt going to pay full price, but the lady who can discount will be there today. I might pick up the couple that are left and see if I can make them grow. Just dont seem to be many in this color to choose from.
Judith

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 2:27PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Probably from Poulsen, maybe Olivia Parade. There aren't many striped roses, mini or otherwise, so your mini is quite a find. Enjoy.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 9:01PM
lesdvs9

Chick A Dee is a very nice mini, unfortuneatly it didn't survive the first summer I had it. My fault, it was in a pot and I forgot to water it. Beautiful pure pink and white though. Wish I'd replaced it when I had a chance to from Sequoia Nursery. 2nd time I'd grown it, first time was when we'd lived here before, it does very well in the heat, like I said, my fault for not getting it planted in the ground before summer hit.
Les

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 9:35PM
trospero(8)

Chick-a-Dee or Joan Austin, if you can find them. The latter is especially sweet and very tiny.

Paul

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 9:52PM
Martina DeLuca

Hi Judith,

I bought 2 pink striped minis at Lowe's and mine had the tag. They are from Parade Roses and it's called "Nicola".

Martina

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 10:53AM
alameda/zone 8

Martina - that's it! Thank you so much! Unfortunately.....its not sold anywhere I can find. I should have bought more of them at Lowes...maybe they will have them in for Easter. At least I now know the name! I did order Chick A Dee.......and my Nicola is doing well in a pot. Thanks so much!!
Judith

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 11:00AM
phil_schorr(z6St.Louis)

Nicola (or Nicola Parade) is a Poulsen rose. Poulsen in Denmark develops many pot minis and sells millions of them every year around the world.

The sale of these roses in so many places is one of the contributing factors to many American miniature rose producers going out of business. That isn't to knock the Poulsen roses, since many of them are very good roses, but it is a sad fact of life.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 11:06PM
gnabonnand(Zone 8 Texas)

Judith, I saw a 'Stars-N-Stripes' stiped miniature rose at Wal-Mart of all places late last fall and almost bought it. Kind of wish I did ... it looked very good and had very few thorns. They were selling it in large 2 gallon containers.

Randy

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
How to deal with black spots
My mini-roses seem to be very vulnerable to black spots....
jujujojo_gw
Miniature Rose: A change of color
I planted a white mini rose on the ground in the same...
frugal_gardening
99 Cent Store Gift, a million thanks
I have a neighbor that has a cactus and succulent collection....
jasminerose4u, California
Kroger has Mini-Floras
I had heard from some Society Members that Kroger had...
Buford_NE_GA_7A
Sponsored Products
Rubbed Oil Bronze Garden Box 14-Inch Patio Light with White Frost, Checkered Gla
$93.10 | Bellacor
Ethan White Twin over Twin Bunk Bed - WCM634
$519.99 | Hayneedle
Accents Provence Patina Five-Light Chandelier with White Patina Glass
$329.90 | Bellacor
Design Toscano Resting Grace Sitting Angel Statue - Medium - NG34725
$50.90 | Hayneedle
LightIt! Hanging Fixtures 2.75 in. 3-LED Bronze Puck Stick On-Light (3-Pack)
$10.19 | Home Depot
Moonrays Wall Mounted Outdoor Bronze Solar Powered Round Mini LED Deck Light
$9.40 | Home Depot
White Pierce Bookcase
$229.99 | zulily
Sample - Loft Super White 3x6 Frosted Glass Tiles 1 Piece Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™