edible rose bush?

sunshinelovegirlFebruary 22, 2005

my friend gave me a miniature rose bush. It just bloomed its first two flowers

(the week before valentines day, how sweet right). I don't want to just toss out the blooms, so can I toss them in a salad instead? They aren't very fragrant, but they are gorgeous. And could somebody please let me know how long to let the flowers live on the plant. I don't want it to go dormant.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msm84(SoCal)

First of all no part of a rose bush should be eaten unless you are positive it has not been feed or sprayed with chemicals! This is unlikely if this mini rose came from a store because they are sprayed with all sorts of chemicals before they are shipped from the growers. Blossoms and hips that are used for comsumption are strickly from plants that are grown organically. Your plant would need to be purged over a period of time before it would be considered safe enough to eat.

As for your other question about keeping it from going dormat; Roses need a "down time" and a yearly prunning to do their best and I'm assuming you are growing this one in the house. All roses are outside plants and need lots of sun to be happy and healthy. Without alot of elaborate lighting, constant monitoring for heat/moisture and spraying for spider mites your rose will not survive in the house. I recommend if you want to keep this rose to plant it outside in a large pot or in the ground as soon as your weather permits. Blooms can last a matter of days or even weeks depending on the rose itself and should be cut off as soon as they become shabby looking. This will encourage the plant to produce more blooms. Good luck with your new baby :o)

Bookmark   February 28, 2005 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
It is perpetual
My neighbor, whom I've never met in a year even though...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
Miniature roses...can any1 name them...pretty please....
Hi , totally new at gardening....planted some...miniature...
sn21
Sponsored Products
Spike Spot Outdoor Light
Lightology
Shower Riser Bushing
Signature Hardware
Bush Aero Desk
Overstock.com
BlissLights Outdoor Lighting. 16 in. Blue Laser Landscape Projector/Firefly Land
Home Depot
Hinkley Lighting | Monaco 4851 Wall Sconce
$149.00 | YLighting
Unsa Bath Bar by Elan Lighting
$242.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™