Pic of Dwarf Deciduous in bloom under grow lights

arctictropical(Z4)November 9, 2011

Since I'm in zone 4 with a short growing season, my plummies don't bloom until I stick them under grow lights in the Fall. Now I've got several plants in bud and one in bloom, Dwarf Deciduous. It's a beauty!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Wow, it looks really nice and healthy! Even my growing season is a little to short to get the best out of plumerias (unless they make their inflos before July, then they usually manage to finish blooming before going indoors). Looking forward to seeing some more pics!
-Alex

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 12:30AM
ljune

Beautiful bloom! Congratulations on getting it to bloom under lights in the greenhouse. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 9:40AM
arctictropical(Z4)

Thanks Alex & ljune. They are actually growing in a basement room with no light but what comes from the grow lights. I've also got buds on Jungle Jack's Mini-white, and Penang Peach. Others should start sending out inflos. soon.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 7:39PM
jandey1(TX8)

Nothing like a little tropical jungle to brighten up your cold winters, eh? The rest of us will be looking at sticks all winter!

The DD is a beautifully shaped flower. Is it big? Fragrant? Your foliage looks great, too.

Jen

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 9:54PM
SFLGPlume

Beautiful! But the foliage is so perfect that it nearly steals the show!

Congrats on your success.

Greg

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 11:48PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hello Everyone,

Kevin,

Congratulations on the beautiful blooms!!!!

Always love to see what your growing !! The palms look awesome too! : )

Do you have the spidermite problem with the lights? What kind of set up do you have for your Plumies?

I remember seeing a pic of the basement, but i cant remember how many set of lights you have.

Thank you for showing us your beautiful trees and blooms!!!

Only in UTAH!!! : )

Way to go!!!

Laura in VB

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 6:32AM
arctictropical(Z4)

Thanks Jen, Greg & Laura. The flowers are huge and mildly fragrant. They are my largest plumeria flower so far. I do have a spider mite problem but Neem oil seems to keep them under control. They are blooming under T-5 high intensity florescent lights. I have two fixtures. One has 8 light bulbs, the other 6. The light fixtures totally heat the basement room. In fact, I have to leave the door to the room open or the temperature gets up to 85 degrees without any furnace heat.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 12:31AM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Thanks Kevin,

They all look beautiful!!!

I have T-5 lights as well...I wish that i had more sets, but i think that i would be pushing it!!! LOL..

Thanks for the info on the Neem Oil.. I have used the Bayer 3 in 1 and it does pretty well. I may try the neem oil inside.

Take care Kevin!!!

Laura in VB

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 3:10PM
arctictropical(Z4)

Hi Laura. Thanks! The Neem oil I use is also a 3 in 1. The brand I am using is "ferti-lome" Triple Action plus. It has insecticide, miticide and fungicide. But the "active ingredient" is Clarified Hydrophobic Neem Oil. I do have to spray now and then for new outbreaks of mites, but it does a lot better than ordinary insecticides. All of my plumeria are growing like mad under the T-5 lights. They seem to be healthy, happy and aren't showing any signs of dormancy. The leaves are nice and green. My Jungle Jack's Mini-White is now in bloom. Here's a pic.

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
More questions.....
So... I have had my Plumerias down the basement for...
scott_madison
How To Give Away Plumeria
I bought a plumeria (gorgeous pinks and yellows) before...
treehugger101
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™