To late to cut back?

emily4(z4Mich)March 28, 2005

I have two mini roses that are in really bad shape. I bought them last winter from the grocery store. I grow them outside but I found a color I didn't have, soI thought I'd try to keep them alive inside until spring. I've been battling mildew and now have aphids to contend with. The leaves are falling off but I still get nice new growth. Is it too late to cut them back and start over for spring? I still have about 6 weeks until I will be able to put them out. What should I do? Thanks for any help, I really don't want to loose them. Em

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertratrose(z9 AZ-PHX)

Cut them, spray with some insecticidal soap, hope you don't have mites too badly and get them outside as soon as you can. You shouldn't have a problem with the pruning as they are in a controlled temp environment. If you suspect mites (a likely source of browning, dropping leaves), turn the plants on their side daily and spray the undersides of the leaves with the sprayer from your sink or a squirt bottle with water. The mites don't like it wet and this will get rid of them better than anything except a miticide which can be really expensive.

Suz

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
Kordana Rose
I purchased a Kordana miniature rose plant in August....
mjreis
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
Miniature Rose: A change of color
I planted a white mini rose on the ground in the same...
frugal_gardening
Sponsored Products
Faz Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Sterling Finesse 6305-34DR-G05 34W x 65.5H in. Clear Glass Shower Door Multicolo
$842.99 | Hayneedle
Distressed Three-Photo Frame
$17.99 | zulily
Fitzgerald Loveseat - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Esopus Old Bronze Four-Light Pendant
Bellacor
Jamie Young 13" Wide Curved Cut Clear Glass Pendant
Lamps Plus
Spaceship Chair - Set of 2
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Purple Velvet High-back Chair