Sending Fresh Peppers by Mail

saleveneAugust 22, 2014

Hey all - I was curious if anyone has tried this? Good or bad experiences? If good, any recommended way to pack the peppers? This would be a small package, like 10 habaneros... Have someone that really wants to try them! Lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stoneys_fatali(9b Duarte,Ca.)

I had a member here send me some pods from Florida and Im in California.
He packed them in a Priority Mail flat rate box.
Arrived fresh and undamaged.

Stoney

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 11:51PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I've done it. I used a Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box that gets there at least as fast as First Class (a couple days). Box is free and holds lots of peppers. Cost about $6.

But you're in Colombia. Package delivery US to South America is generally considered a crapshoot if it needs to get there within a certain time. Things have a way of getting hung up in Customs for weeks. (Not CO especially, but further south for sure.)

If you want peppers from the US and have them still edible, then ship FedEx Guaranteed or USPS GXG - both incredibly expensive.

Send from CO to US I don't know about, but should be cheaper.

Sending locally, then your question is really about packaging. I basically didn't. Stuffed them in the box - some in bags to keep the varieties separate. Box didn't get squished (they handle Priority Mail very well here). I'd say that's what you should be concerned about - a box they can't or won't squish.

Let us know how your postal system does, and good luck.

Dennis

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:38AM
tomt226

I've sent fresh and dried to Canada and Montana, and other places too.
Priority mail, bag'em, and put'em in a bubble wrap envelope.
Coming from Colombia may get you more scrutiny though...

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 5:59AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I wouldn't use a bubble envelope for fresh, unless there is something unsquishable inside it.

Dennis

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 11:52AM
plantsman56

I ship 4 to 10 boxes of fresh peppers just about every week. The only thing I can add to what people said already, is that you do not want to put peppers in plastic bags, in the box. It is better to put them in a paper bag. Where ever you are shipping to, about 4 days is about all the time you want to take for shipping when it is hot like it is now. Priority mail the US usually works fine, but I can't tell you about your situation if you are in another country.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 4:59PM
tomt226

I don't put the fresh In a bag, just the dried stuff. The bubble envelopes work great for small quantities of fresh. They arrive in great shape as the bubble wrap provides some insulation. Recipients let me know...

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 6:46AM
salevene

Thanks all. I'm actually shipping inside Colombia... I'll use plastic bags for the dried and paper bags/newspaper for the fresh (and then cover in bubble wrap to protect).

I harvested yesterday and I'll keep them in fridge until I ship tomorrow morning. Shipping time should only be 1-2 days and if I package the same way as a USPS box, the peppers shouldn't get squished.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:42AM
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9

The reason you shouldn't wrap in plastic (or bubble wrap) is the same as for not leaving bananas or avocados in plastic bags. They will spoil faster, though not quite as fast as those two.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 12:16PM
tomt226

mecdave,
If'n you put yer avocados in the fridge, they last for a week, in or out of plastic...

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 2:44PM
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9

Tom, yeah but we don't have that luxury in the mail. ;-)

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™