Garlic ?'s

nappingking(4)April 26, 2011

Hello Fellow Gardeners!

My fall planting of garlic is up and looking quasi happy...kind of yellow leaves. I scratched in some blood meal and organic fertilizer...any more suggestions? It has been a wet spring here. First time growing garlic and would like some advice for sheridan,wy garlic growing. I did water it with some humic acid and some mycoriazal fungus as well. Look forward to some experienced advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjcore

Yellow leaves in most plants often indicate a shortage a nitrogen but there could be other reasons. It sounds like you've done the right thing with the fertilizer.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 6:35PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I use a liquid organic 12-6-6 to supplement blood meal.

Dan

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 7:10PM
david52_gw

A shot of nitrogen about this time of year, maybe repeated in late May, does wonders for bulb size further down the road.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 9:48PM

IME when you plant cloves, there should be a ribbon of blood meal ~2-3" away ~3-4" below surface, in addition to your amendment of compost or manure or whatever. I then give 2-3 shots of liquid N starting mid-Mar or so depending on soil temp. In our garden garlic is the most important crop, and fortunately it has few needs, but specific needs. Meet those and you are golden.

Dan

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 11:09PM
elkwc(6b)

Garlic is easy to grow. If your soil is good and fertile it doesn't require much more. I sometimes give mine a side dress in the spring and sometimes I don't. I have nice big bulbs. My soil tests extremely high in N-P-K from all the manure,leaves and mulch I work in every fall. The main thing I have to add here in our alkaline soil is sulfur in some form. I've added it various forms. All work some faster than others. Like Dan said a shot of N won't hurt them. I will usually see the light pale leaves some in the early spring. It doesn't worry me. When the soil and temps warm up they go away. A lot of the problems early on is plants don't uptake minerals and nutrients in some form during cooler weather and soil temps. You can supply a form they will uptake like you have done and others have suggested. Or wait a month and they will probably look fine. Anyway that has been my experience here in my garden. I only plant around 2-3 hundred cloves a year so not a big grower like several are. Jay

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 11:43AM

So its my first year growing 'Music'. I was out today checking everything. Wow. The tops are huge and a nice green. Can't wait to get some scapes for pesto, and then to harvest.

Dan

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 11:01PM
gjcore

My garlic is looking decent for this time of year too.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™