What is wrong with these?

brian6464(4a)August 10, 2014

These are Francisca peppers. They started developing black areas that eventually turn soft/rotten, almost like bottom rot on a tomato. Anyone ever seen something like this on a pepper? I have 20+ other plants, none of which exhibit the same problem. Also, this same plant has 10 more peps in green stage and not showing any signs of this...yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

What have the prevailing temperatures been?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:56PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Another Question: Are you growing them in containers ?

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 2:14AM
brian6464(4a)

jean001a: Prevailing temps over last few weeks have been highs in low 80's and lows in upper 60's.

seysonn: Yes, most are in 5 gallon buckets. This particular plant looks very healthy other than the fruit problem.

In the pic, the stages of rot are basically shown left to right. Starts out as small black streak but retains firmness. Slowly grows to length of fruit and rots through the wall of the fruit.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:21PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Yes, I got this on a couple of early whatever-it-is that I have (hab?). I have no idea what caused it and it doesn't affect the rest of the pods.

This seems to develop inside the pod. The black streak appears when the rot gets to the junction between the sidewall and the crosswall. Recall that before the pod forms the end is open to admit pollen. Perhaps it admitted something else, like a fungus spore.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:55

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:46PM
brian6464(4a)

These were the first three ripe pods...so TBD on the later ripening pods.

Dennis - It sounds like you have since harvested ripe pods without this same problem?

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:14PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Yep. Lots and lots of them.

BTW, your three likely came in first because of the problem. My first ripe pod had it (barely noticeable at first) and ripened although undersized. The second was coloring when it dropped. The plant knows the pod is sick and hurries it along or jettisons.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 17:25

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™