Plumeria doesn't go dormant?

love2gardenncNovember 3, 2012

I have a seed grown plumeria, several years old and 5ft tall that has never gone into dormancy. It has also never bloomed so I am wondering if they two items are related. I live in zone 7b and have the potted plumeria out on the yard during the summer but move it to my GH when frost/freeze time comes. The greenhouse is kept at about 40 degrees at night. I do have another seed grown one same size that blooms every year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irun5k

It can take a few years for seedlings too bloom and some may be very reluctant to bloom so that aspect may not be too unusual... luck of the draw with seedlings.

If it is several years old and 5 feet tall I'm a little surprised that it doesn't go dormant esp. with 40 degree temps. Depending on what the blooms end up looking like, that could be a desirable cultivar. Does it drop some of its leaves, or does it keep most all of them?

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 11:25AM
love2gardennc

It loses single leaves as the plant grows but it never 'molts' drops many leaves at one time. It really does not change it's habits from spring to winter. The seeds were bought on Ebay from barry-ng and were from a pendulous pink parent.
Just so you know I have two of these plants (same seed lot) both in the 5 ft range and with several leafy points/tips (don't know what you call the tips).

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 6:13PM
qaguy

Could it be a Singapore variety? They don't always go
dormant.

Are the leaf tips kind of rounded or kind of pointy?

Rounded leaves are usually Singapores.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 8:09PM
love2gardennc

There is a difference between the leave on the bloomer and the non bloomer.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 11:20AM
jandey1(TX8)

Here's the crazy thing about plumeria: they have a huge number of genes--more than humans, I'm told--so the potential number of different combinations you can get from seedlings is also huge.

Just like human children, plumeria seedlings can either strongly resemble their parents and siblings, or can be completely different from them. Your seedling siblings are displaying just that.

I wouldn't worry about the not-dormant one. The blooming will happen when it's ready, which could still be a few more years. They usually take between two and six years under good growing conditions to reach blooming age, but have been known to occasionally take much longer, especially if their growing seasons are shorter than what they'd get in the tropics.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 11:32AM
qaguy

That non-bloomer sure looks like a Singapore to me.

That rounded leaf is a dead giveaway.

That first bloom can take quite a while.

I'd say that, overall, you're nothing to worry about.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
@ Laura....... :P
Im cutting "Big Papi" in a couple weeks,...
plumejunkie
scale
Laura and Peg...is this the scale my husband thinks...
rox146
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™