Black and mushy tip on plumeria stalk

jpersNovember 14, 2009

I am new to growing plumeria. I bought plumeria cuttings and now after a year their tips are black and mushy. The soil is dry and I saw where it said to cut off the black, mushy tips til you get healthy white pulp and then seal it. But will this work on a 12 inch cutting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_luvs_frangipani(9)

Yes, as long as the whole 12 inch cutting is not black with the rot. Cut a little at a time until you get clean white. Some will say to use alcohol between cuts as to not spread the rot. Can't hurt I guess. At this point your cutting will grow a branch below the final cut at a previous leaf scar. Good luck!

John

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 3:22PM
ccdarden(9A)

I'm new to growing plumeria as well. A friend gave me some cuttings and some are doing well and some are getting black and mushy. What do you seal it with once you cut the tip down until you find clean white? Thanks!

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 9:27AM
john_luvs_frangipani(9)

ccdarden some people drip wax on the cut end and some use a type of caulking.

John

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 2:42AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Some use the black pruning spray paint at most big box stores..I use this for my roses..

Most tips once cut off, heal on their own..You really don't have to use anything..:-)

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 1:32PM
ccdarden(9A)

Thanks - I had to cut more yesterday....they were rotting in the middle of the cutting and I had to cut so far down that I'm left with like an inch or two. I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath. They weren't kept too wet, and were in sun but this time of year it's not harsh. Not sure what I did wrong. Lost about 6 cuttings....so sad....

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 1:45PM
john_luvs_frangipani(9)

Yeah I hear ya. I had a cutting a friend from work bought me back from her visit to Oahu several years ago, and it rotted. Was a real bummer. I've been pretty fortunate though I've only lost 2 or 3 during my short stint as a plumeria grower. Good luck with what you have left!

John

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
Any Good Plumeria Nurserys In The Miami Area ?
Hello Gang; Will be spending next weekend in Miami...
edzone9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™