Can anyone identify this pepper?

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)September 9, 2011

These seeds for these pepper plants were found in a market in Barbados. The friend we sent them to me said they were called Bonnie or Bonny (I don't know which) peppers, but I cannot find any information on such a pepper. Any ideas? They are suposed to be hot peppers. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barefootgardner12(6)

They look like Scotch Bonnet peppers. Widely used in the Caribbean. A variety of Chili Pepper. Used to make Jamican Jerk Sauce.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 2:58AM
smokemaster_2007

Two entries for Bonney:
See below link.

Kinda like a Congo Trinidad...

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile Database-no pics

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 3:04AM
barefootgardner12(6)

aka Scotch Bonnet Peppers I believe.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 3:46AM
PEPPERMEISTER1(6)

Those are gorgeous pods.
Bonnie is definitely a slang term for scotch bonnet used in Jamaica and I'm sure Barbados too, (According to the book, Food Culture in the Caribbean).
If you intend to save extra seeds for next year let me know, I'd love to trade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out PEPPERMEISTER for hot pepper gardening tips, recipes and chile info

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 8:54PM
don555(3a)

Be careful with those, Scotch Bonnets have a Scoville rating of 100,000 to 350,000.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 12:45AM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Thnk you for all your replies and Smokemaster, thanks for that splendid database. Of course I have it already stashed in my favourites. So yes, it is really Bonney pepper as they told her in the market in Barbados.

Barefootgardener, these are not Scotch Bonnets. I have grown SB's for several years, have a few plants loaded right now, and the shape is completely different, and the way the pods are arranged is also different.

Peppermeister, I will certainly be saving seeds for next year and will probably have enough for a trade. I use most of my hot peppers for hot pepper sauces of two main varieties. Others are pickled and used for general cooking and seasonings. I will make a note of your request and contact you when I'm ready to start trading. Some are already promised.

Thanks for the warning Donn. You can never be too careful with these.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 1:09AM
vic01(z4MN)

Bonnie is also a nursery label from the sources of many peppers available at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Bonnie plants are common in our area of Minnesota. They will have the name of the pepper as well but they are grown at Bonnie nurseries.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:07PM
kenoe(8)

I have some that look the same with those big sized leaves at the bottom and the more pumpkin look. A guy today told me that he thought they were safi red scotch bonnet peppers. Mine came from the carribean as well, directly not bought seeds. What do yours taste like?

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 10:10PM
kenoe(8)

Sorry I forgot to put up pics. Here are mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
New to H. Peppers and a few questions
Hi all I am going to try my hand at hot peppers this...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Gooey Seeds?
For people who are starting their seeds using a paper...
beverly_
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™