Too soon to plant?

austin_addict(z5 SE WI)April 21, 2005

I'm new to minis and need some advice. I have the following roses in the tiny grower pots and am wondering how soon I can put them in the ground outside:

-- Tammy Darlene

-- Irrestible

-- Pam Tillis

-- Jeanne la Joie

-- Simplex

One of the Tammys isn't looking so hot so I definately need to repot her, but what about the rest? Can I wait a week or two and simply plop them in the earth or ????? I am in Milwaukee, zone 5.

Cynthia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertratrose(z9 AZ-PHX)

Ok, so no one else has answered. I didn't want to because my zone is so different from yours.

Here, I always pot the babies up into gallon containers for a couple of months before putting in the ground. However, I have put 'grocery store' minis directly in the ground with no ill effect, so I would assume you can go straight into the ground when you're ready. Just make sure you keep them wet enough. Even one missed watering can spell disaster with the tiny pots as they are all most likely pretty root bound.

If you think the soil temps are still pretty cool, you will be better off in black gallon pots for a while. They will get warmer during the day than the ground will and this will help stimulate the root growth faster. I think this accounts for why my bare roots do better here when I 'can' them for a couple of months starting in January (our bare root season, if you can imagine) and then put them in the ground in March.

Suz

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 1:20PM
tenor_peggy(10 FL, N. Fort Myers)

Is the ground workable? I would think so. It is not too bad up here in Green Bay. Check out the Milwaukee Rose Society and see what they say. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Milwaukee Rose Society

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 2:14PM
Maureen Janda

I hesitated to answer, too. I'm a newbie and in vastly different climate. BUT, I got my first order in those little grower pots 3/24, and potted them up in 6" pots as Nor'East recommended. Today I could see that new roots were already at the holes in the pots, and the plants have doubled in size. So, it might be wise to give them that head start.

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 9:14PM
roselin32(7TX)

mljan, you are a fast learner. I used to plant mine right into the ground the first year or so when I got hooked on minis but then I discovered that they do much better if they have been growing in a one gallon pot for a couple of months before putting them into the ground. I think that would be a good move.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 9:21PM
Eliza_ann_ca(zone 6 ont ca)

You have answered my question I was going to ask.I also have a mini thats still in it's little 4inch pot it came in.I guess I should put it in a larger container,as it's getting quite large and has been flowering non stop for a couple of months.I have noticed a few yellow leaves on it the past few days.Would this be because of it being root bound or some other problem?

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
99 Cent Store Gift, a million thanks
I have a neighbor that has a cactus and succulent collection....
jasminerose4u, California
Does anyone grow Baby Austin?
I saw this sweet bouquet that is less than 3 inches...
jasminerose4u, California
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
Suggestions to plant between mini roses?
I am planting/have planted a bunch of micro minis and...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Rust 6 ft. x 9 ft. red
Home Depot
7.5 ft. Cool White LED Pre-lit Blossom Tree - 92411070
$348.99 | Hayneedle
Design Tree Home French Style Blue Galvanized Steel Cafe Chair
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Carson Counter Stool
Serena & Lily
Florence Red Rose Arrangement
Overstock.com
Henri Studio Classic Planter Pillar Fountain