cole crop starts planting question

lkwdgrdnrApril 13, 2013

Hello Everyone,

I've been a lurker for awhile, but joined up today to ask a question. I've got a few cabbage and broccoli starts that I picked up from Home Depot last week, but put off planting them due to the expected snow. My new plan was to get them in the ground today, but the 4-day forecast is snowing significant snow again for this week. I live in a snowier part of Lakewood- got about 8-12" of snow in the last storm. They've been living outside with the exception of the below-freezing times, so I'm not so worried about temperature shock. Should I plant them or wait?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjcore

I would wait until this next cold front has passed. It's supposed to get into the single digits. Probably too cold for seedlings unless they are covered with snow before the deep freeze kicks in.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 2:56PM
luckybottom

gjcore has great advice.

Also,it has been helpful to me to observe what nature is doing plus using a thermometer to track the soil temp. So in your yard it would be great to see when the lilac is leafing plus see 9 am soil temps at 40ú to think about putting in sets. Even then keep the forecast in mind.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:18PM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

I agree that it is good to have indicator plants: lilac, forsythia, currant. Some indicator plants don't mind cold, others do.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™