Cool temperature to grow large flowers?

jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)April 28, 2013

I bought a mini-rose (Kordana) in winter. I reported it to a large pot because it grows so quickly. It has come back blooming profusely with several dozens of buds. One of the buds has the outer sepals open exposing bright pink color.

I left it on the back deck. To my surprise, I saw a couple in their 50s in fine clothes. The woman came over ⦠I thought she was just looking but she left with my rose pot in her arms. I ran out and politely asked her to return my plant. She was embarrassed and claimed that she was drunk. I forgot to tell her that I could share some rooted cutting with her before she left quickly.

Since then, for a few days, I kept my mini-rose indoors. To my surprise, some small buds start to mature and exposing bright pink color. If the pot was outside in cool temperature, these buds would continue to grow very fat before they eventually open up. So, is there a correlation between high temperature and premature buds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, temperature will effect growth. It can also effect color and fragrance as well. In cooler temperatures the roses grow faster but they also more easily retain moisture and they get "plumper". In warmer temperatures they usually slow down to conserve both energy and water and the blooms will be smaller. In very hot climates, like out West or down South, their roses will actually go into a kind of dormancy during the hottest part of the summer instead of in the winter like ours do.

Find a place outside where people can't try and steal your rose and get it back outside. Roses really hate to be indoors and it will grow and bloom much better for you out there. If you can plant it in the ground that would be even better. It will grow and bloom beautifully for you for years to come.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:43PM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 19:43

Thank you so much. I will post some pictures soon. Right now, I keep them in the refrigerator over nights.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 11:47AM
seil zone 6b MI

Juju, you do not need to refrigerate them. Actually it's too dry in there. I don't know where you live so I don't know what kind of weather you're having but if it's not going below freezing at night there is no need to bring them in. Roses will take temps to freezing with out any problems at all. Temps from freezing to about 28 degrees will kill new growth but not the rose. So I'd say leave it outside if at all possible.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:57PM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Here is the plant today. I did over-fertilize it.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 2:34PM
NOACCEPTANCE772(8a)

Are these growing indoors?

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 3:33AM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Posted by NOACCEPTANCE772 none (My Page) on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 3:33

Yes. Why?

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
It is perpetual
My neighbor, whom I've never met in a year even though...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Kroger has Mini-Floras
I had heard from some Society Members that Kroger had...
Buford_NE_GA_7A
Sponsored Products
Agraria Lavender & Rosemary Air Essence Diffuser
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Flower Market Green Two-Quart Tea Kettle - LIGHT GREEN
$100.00 | Horchow
8" Solid Copper Wall Tile with Swirled Flower Design - Antique Copper Patina
Signature Hardware
Fermob | Flower Armchair Without Perforation
YLiving.com
Deco Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$422.00 | Lumens
Candlelight in Bloom - Set of 3
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
QP Brittany Artisan LED Pendant
Lightology
Couristan Jangali All Over Isfahan Antique Ivory/Black Oriental Rug - 1207/0207-
$859.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™